Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Racial and sexist slurs found on stall door of women's bathroom

The original version of this article contained an error and has been changed. See the bottom of the article for additional information.

Editor’s note: We have decided to run in our article the exact wording of the racial and sexist slurs in this incident. Given the nature of these slurs, the editorial staff were faced with the question of whether it was appropriate for the student newspaper to repeat these slurs and potentially perpetuate their use. The editorial decision was made to write them as they occurred in order to report accurately and thoroughly on the incident.

——
Racial and sexist slurs, similar to those posted on a Vietnamese Student Union sign earlier this week, were found written on the door of a bathroom stall in Powell Library today.

At about 12:30 p.m. second-year psychology student Antonette Sadile saw the handwritten phrase “Asian Women are White-Boy Worshipping Sluts” on the stall door in the women’s bathroom of the library basement, she said.

Sadile, who is also the community outreach programmer for the Asian Pacific Coalition, called university police about the incident at about 1:30 p.m., she said. Police are currently looking into the claims before filing an official report, said UCPD Captain Manny Garza.

The incident follows a similar occurrence on Tuesday, when a student found a piece of paper that read “asian women R Honkie white-boy worshipping Whores,” attached to a Vietnamese Student Union sign on the fourth floor of Kerckhoff Hall.

“I thought (yesterday’s incident) was a more personal attack,” Sadile said. “But this is a bigger impact. It is really scary, I didn’t feel safe.”

As of 3 p.m. the writing was still in the bathroom stall.

Compiled by Erin Donnelly, Bruin senior staff.

Correction: Antonette Sadile is the community outreach programmer for the Asian Pacific Coalition.