Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Student group sign vandalized with racist, sexist slurs

Editor’s note: We have decided to run in our article the exact wording of the racial and sexist slurs in this incident. Given the nature of these slurs, the editorial staff were faced with the question of whether it was appropriate for the student newspaper to repeat these slurs and potentially perpetuate their use. The editorial decision was made to write them as they occurred in order to report accurately and thoroughly on the incident.

A student found a Vietnamese Student Union sign vandalized with racial and sexist slurs on the fourth floor of Kerckhoff Hall Tuesday morning.

A piece of white paper, which read “asian women R Honkie white-boy worshipping Whores” and had an illustration of an obscene hand gesture, was attached to the sign.

Anees Hasnain, community service commissioner for the Undergraduate Students Association Council, saw the sign this morning and reported it in an email to campus administrators.

Hasnain, a fourth-year sociology student, saw the vandalism around 8 a.m., but the sign had been taken down by around 11 a.m. Hasnain said she does not know who removed the sign.

Roman Nguyen, president of the Vietnamese Student Union, said he was made aware of the incident around 10 a.m.

“I was really offended, especially by the fact it was printed and someone took the time to post this, because that means it was something that was deliberate and planned for,” said Nguyen, a fifth-year international development student.

The Vietnamese Student Union is still in the process of figuring out what exactly happened and preparing a response, Nguyen said.

An official report has not been filed with university police, according to UCPD spokeswoman Nancy Greenstein. She said she received an email about the incident and expects the incident to be reported today.

Compiled by Sonali Kohli and James Barragan, Bruin senior staff.