Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Letter to the Editor: _UCLA honor societies beneficial for members, community_

In response to Serli Polatoglu’s column “Students should only join honor societies if they plan on participating,” I would like to say that joining the Alpha Lambda Delta and Phi Eta Sigma national honor society was one of the most beneficial decisions I made during my freshman year at UCLA.

I am convinced that this prominent honor society at UCLA is worth my time and money.

There is an unfortunate misconception that paying a membership fee is a waste of money. Membership fees are only a waste if you do not pursue true commitment and active involvement in the organization.

Every week, the society organizes events where every member can find something of interest. For example, our “Study Buddies” is an effort to group interested members in similar classes so that they can plan study sessions.

On such a large campus this is extremely helpful because it can be difficult to reach out to others when you are sitting in a lecture of 400 unfamiliar faces.

In addition, from a social programming perspective, our “Dinner for Six” event allows members to get to know each other while bonding over a meal in Westwood, and our community service events allow us to become more involved with the local community.

While considering the value of participating in an honor society, take time to evaluate the difference it will make in your college experience, and the difference you can make in the lives of others.

Crystal Valentine
Third-year, physiological science