GSA Meeting Roundup – Nov. 7

The UCLA Graduate Students Association is the voice of graduate students on campus. The association meets for forum every three weeks and takes positions on current issues affecting graduate students. Forum meetings are at 5:30 p.m. in the Ackerman Viewpoint Lounge.

Agenda

• Changes to the Codes of GSA to show current department alignments were approved with a vote of 18-2-0.
  • The 2012-2013 revised GSA budget was approved 18-2-0 on the stipulation that $20,000 will be reallocated from cabinet discretionary funds to forum discretionary funds and can only be used with approval of forum members.

Officer Reports

• President David Zeke said he met with Steven Olsen, vice chancellor and chief financial officer, and undergraduate representatives to discuss contingency plans in case Proposition 30 did not pass. He added that he will look into the possibility of the university subsidizing graduate student housing.
  • Vanessa Thulsiraj, vice president of internal affairs, said she attended the Student Activity Center Board of Governors meeting and the potential Unity Center that was discussed will be explored in a steering group. She added that graduate students are welcome to come to certain focus meetings to give their input for the center.
  • Nicole Robinson, vice president of academic affairs, said she went to a meeting of the Graduate Writing Center Oversight Committee where the center’s budget was approved. She then asked for input from forum members about possible funding alternatives for the center, as the center is currently not funded at a sustainable level, she said. She also said the GSA website will now have the minutes to the UCLA Academic Senate committee meetings.
  • Dani Molina, vice president of external affairs, said there is an upcoming University of California Board of Regents meeting. He added that the regents might consider a 6 percent tuition increase for the next school year.

Special Presentations

• The Math and Physical Sciences Council presented to forum regarding the California NanoSystems Institute’s recent budgets cuts and asked for help in petitioning the deans whose departments are part of the institute to work together to restore the lost funding.

Compiled by Stephen Stewart, Bruin senior staff.