Last-second field goal secures UCLA 45-43 win over Arizona State

TEMPE, Ariz. “”mdash; In what turned out to be an offensive shootout in the desert, UCLA came out on top 45-43.

The game came down to a field goal attempt for the second consecutive year between the Bruins and Sun Devils. This time, it was UCLA who needed to make a field goal to take the win. True freshman Ka’imi Fairbairn made a 33-yard field goal with no time left on the clock to give the Bruins a victory.

With the win, UCLA (6-2, 3-2 Pac-12) pulled level with Arizona State (5-3, 3-2) for second place in the Pac-12’s South division.

ASU opened the second half with a 31-yard field goal from junior kicker Jon Mora. The teams went on to trade two passing touchdowns each, but the Sun Devils failed to convert on a two-point conversion that would have tied the game at 28.

In the fourth quarter, redshirt freshman quarterback Brett Hundley found redshirt junior running back Damien Thigpen in the corner of the end zone for a 20-yard touchdown pass to put UCLA back up by nine, 42-33. ASU would go on to score 10 consecutive points to take a 43-42 lead with 1:33 to play.

UCLA’s offense responded with Hundley leading a drive from the Bruins’ 20 to set up the Fairbairn field goal attempt with two seconds left.

Compiled by Sam Strong, Bruin Sports senior staff.