Lawsuit aims to halt build of Luskin Center

Critics of the Meyer and Renee Luskin Conference and Guest Center filed a lawsuit Friday to challenge the UC Regents’ approval of the project.

Critics of the proposed UCLA Luskin Conference and Guest Center filed a lawsuit with the Los Angeles County Superior Court Friday to block plans to build the facility.

Among other things, the lawsuit, filed by neighborhood nonprofit organization Save Westwood Village, alleges UCLA officials did not objectively analyze alternativesto the $162-million proposal as required according to court documents. The lawsuit also alleges the proposed center will violate zoning laws, the documents stated.

UCLA officials need time to review the complaint but are confident they are in compliance with the laws being called into question, according to a university statement.

Designs for the Luskin Center, which were approved by the UC Board of Regents last month, include 250 guest rooms and a 242,000-square-foot conference center, according to a report from the UC Office of the President. The center will also allocate 10,000 square feet for a catering kitchen to replace an older facility on campus, the Daily Bruin reported last month.

The proposal has generated criticism from business and hotel owners in the area.

Members of Save Westwood Village are primarily concerned the center might take away revenue from nearby hotels, said Laura Lake, co-president of Save Westwood Village.

“We are in support of the conference center, but it does not need to be a hotel too,” Lake said. “We want UCLA to be a responsible neighbor.”

The UCLA statement, however, said the center will not compete with local hotels for tourists and other business travelers because guests will have to be affiliated with the university to make reservations, similar to existing policies at the UCLA Guest House and Tiverton House, which are frequently at or near capacity.

Compiled by Naheed Rajwani and Erin Donnelly, Bruin senior staff.