University to hear public comments on environmental impact of Meyer and Renee Luskin Conference and Guest Center

UCLA NEWSROOM

Next week, officials will hear public comments on the Meyer and Renee Luskin Conference and Guest Center’s environmental impact report.

By Erin Donnelly

The university will hold a hearing next week to allow public comments on the proposed UCLA Meyer and Renee Luskin Conference and Guest Center’s environmental impact report.

A 700-page draft of the report, which was released by UCLA earlier this month, outlines the environmental consequences of the conference center and hotel project.

The center would be built in place of Parking Structure 6 and will consist of 250 guest rooms and 25,000 square feet of meeting space. The UC Regents have not yet approved the project, according to Daily Bruin archives.

The report and the hearing are legally required steps for the university to proceed with the project, said Steve Ritea, a university spokesman.

The hearing on June 5 will consist primarily of public comments, where people can ask questions or voice any concerns about the report.

All comments voiced at the hearing will be recorded and addressed in the final version of the report. Drafters of the report will also include comments that are sent in by June 29, said Tracy Dudman, a senior planner for UCLA capital programs.

While the hearing will let community members address concerns about the report, Dudman said she anticipates other ongoing concerns about the project to also be discussed.

Laura Lake, a member of the Westwood Community Council, said she plans to attend the hearing. She said she wants to voice her concerns that the hotel would take business away from local Westwood hotels.

Since the hotel and conference center will be on UCLA property, it will be exempt from some state taxes. Lake said she feels this will give the center an unfair advantage in room prices over other hotels in the area.

Daniel Mitchell, professor emeritus at the UCLA Anderson School of Management and Luskin School of Public Affairs who is planning to attend the meeting, said he is concerned about the project’s business plan. He said he expects the financial model will be called into question at the hearing because it is a common concern in the community.

The hearing will be held at 7 p.m. at the UCLA Faculty Center. A copy of the report is available at the Westwood Public Library, Louise M. Darling Biomedical Library, Charles E. Young Research Library and on the UCLA Capital Programs website.

Erin Donnelly