Festivals and events to attend over the three-day weekend

JazzReggae

By marjorie yan, Lenika Cruz, and Spencer Pratt

Courtesy of BRIAN LYNN JONES AND THE MISFIT

Courtesy of RENE MIRANDA

Courtesy of DAVID SAFIAN

Memorial Day weekend is one of the few three-day weekends of the year for students to enjoy. But with an extra day off school comes an extra day to fill with a fun way to pass the time. For students looking forward to the day off but are unsure of how to spend it, here are some exciting festivals and events to consider attending.

Fiesta Hermosa

A sea of hat rims and sunglasses may just create a body analogous to the blue hulking monster along the coast of Hermosa Beach this Memorial Day weekend. Fiesta Hermosa features more than 270 artists and crafters. In addition to the strong art presence, the fair also boasts music by the likes of Brian Lynn Jones and the Misfit, and a handful of rock tribute bands. There is no charge for admission, and free parking and shuttle buses are provided.

JazzReggae

This weekend, UCLA will host its annual JazzReggae Festival at the Intramural Field. Students have been able to purchase tickets to both Jam Day and Reggae Day for the past two weeks at the Central Ticketing Office, as well as online. The event will include performances by The Roots, Booker T. Jones and Tarrus Riley, among others. Hosts for the event include Jason Bentley, Anthony Valadez and Barrie Hype.

Topanga Days

This weekend, Hollywood residents may find themselves hearing the boom of live music creep up from the hills above Topanga Canyon. The 39th Annual Topanga Days Festival is a celebration of all sorts, kicking off with three full days of live music, carnival-esque games, locally made delectables and a parade at 9 a.m. on Monday. Tickets will be sold at the festival gates, $20 for adults, $10 for seniors and children ages 6-12, and free for children under 5.

Jubilee

Break out the skinny jeans and hemp dresses for Silver Lake Jubilee Music and Arts Festival. The area spanning the Sunset Junction, known for its abundance of young movie stars, devout artists and yuppies in their 20s, will turn into a street festival featuring a large block party this Memorial Day weekend. Jubilee will feature artists such as Autolux, Aloe Blacc and La Santa Cecilia (the six-member group appeared at the Fowler Museum in February), food and shopping. Single-day tickets are $20, a weekend pass is $35 and all ages are welcome.

Skid Row

Spending Memorial Day weekend on Skid Row might not be first on the list of festivities for most students. But the Los Angeles Poverty Department has been working with the homeless and low-income inhabitants of Skid Row to help them literally create art out of a bad situation. The Los Angeles Poverty Department will host a vibrant three-day cultural event filled with parades and 36 performances put on by members of the Skid Row community.

marjorie yan