Universal Pictures: Celebrating 100 years

Credit: UCLA Film & Television Archive

By marjorie yan, Lenika Cruz, and Spencer Pratt

Credit: UCLA Film & Television Archive

Credit: UCLA Film & Television Archive

Courtesy of Francois Duhamel/TWC 2009

Credit: UCLA Film & Television Archive

Credit: UCLA Film & Television Archive

In April 1912, the growing momentum of the film industry coupled with the independent studios’ need to battle Thomas Edison’s Trust led to the creation of Universal Film Manufacturing Company. A hundred years later, Universal has been involved in many of the industry’s biggest hits, and operates as the oldest producer and distributor in the United States.

The UCLA Film & Television Archive has curated “Universal Pictures: Celebrating 100 Years,” running May 4 to June 24. Tickets are $10, and all film screenings are at the Hammer Museum’s Billy Wilder Theater.

“Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein”
Wednesday, 7:30 p.m.
Originally titled “The Brain of Frankenstein,” the film that was technically considered a B-picture because of its low budget was instantly popular among audiences when it was released in 1948. In this comedy horror film directed by Charles T. Barton, the comedic duo encounters the likes of Count Dracula, Frankenstein, and the Wolf Man. Initially, Costello was not interested in the film because he was not impressed with the script. But when his favorite director was recruited to lead the filmmaking process, Costello took on the role.

“Airport”
June 15, 7:30 p.m.
Universal’s biggest box office hit until “Jaws” broke the record in 1975, “Airport” changed film history by creating the genre of “disaster epic.” An adaptation of Arthur Hailey’s best-selling novel, “Airport” revolves around an airplane bombing and the passengers who attempt to guide the plane into a safe landing. The film’s special effects foreshadow the big-budget, event-driven films that would later dominate Hollywood.

“Back to the Future”
June 17, 11 a.m.
The screening of the 1985 film directed by Robert Zemeckis will revisit scientist Emmett “Doc” Brown (Christopher Lloyd) and Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox) as they travel into the future in their DeLorean sports car. Before the film became one of the biggest blockbuster hits of 1985, the production crew underwent many reshoots as well as meticulous production schedules after Fox was unavailable to film because of his role as Alex P. Keaton on the TV show “Family Ties.”

“Inglourious Basterds”
June 23, 7:30 p.m.
Fans of Quentin Tarantino’s aestheticized violence, genre blending, smart dialogue and trademark Mexican standoffs will not be disappointed with “Inglourious Basterds,” an alternate historical World War II revenge film that took more than a decade to prepare for production. The film centers around a group of American soldiers led by Lt. Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt) who are committed to one thing: killing Nazis.

“Out of Sight”
June 2, 7:30 p.m.
Hardened fans of Steven Soderbergh’s crime comedy “Ocean’s Eleven” and subsequent sequels might want to visit the director’s earlier work “Out of Sight.” Based on Elmore Leonard’s novel of the same name and starring George Clooney and Jennifer Lopez, the film received critical acclaim when it was released in 1998 and received two Academy Award nominations for “Best Adapted Screenplay” and “Best Editing.”

“Somewhere in Time”
June 4, 7:30 p.m.
French film and television director Jeannot Szwarc is known for his films “Jaws 2″ and “Supergirl.” The screening of another one of Szwarc’s films, a tale of time travel and long lost love, “Somewhere in Time” will include an in-person appearance of cinematographer Isidore Mankofsky. Based on a novel by Richard Matheson, who also wrote the screenplay, the film revolves around the romance between college theater student Richard Collier and actress Elise McKenna.

marjorie yan