That’s a wrap: _Big-name pairs aren’t always a hit_

By Andrea Seikaly

When a group of popular actors come together in one movie, various media outlets often spread the anticipation of its release and projected success well before the movie is even set to premiere. We start thinking right away about how funny the movie will be, given its combination of actors, or what a romantic on-screen couple two stars would make. But do these powerful combinations always live up to our expectations?

Last year, actress Melissa McCarthy stood out among an all-star cast of comedic actors in the wildly popular film “Bridesmaids.” Her portrayal of Megan, one of the film’s most humorous characters, earned her several award nominations including an Academy Award nod for Best Supporting Actress.

Just this past week, it was announced that McCarthy will be teaming up with Oscar-winning actress Sandra Bullock and “Bridesmaids” director Paul Feig in a new buddy cop movie. The film is said to be about the relationship that forms between an FBI agent and a more unconventional Boston policewoman who attempt to take down a Russian gangster. While no official title has been released yet, this movie is already generating lots of hype and attention because of its stellar combination of actors and directors.

This news is particularly exciting for me because I have been a fan of McCarthy’s since her days as the eccentric and heartwarming chef Sookie St. James on “Gilmore Girls.” Seeing her become widely recognized for her acting skills and humor as she made the transition from television to film makes me happy because such a relatable and seemingly down-to-earth actress’s dreams are coming true.

The question at hand is, of course, whether or not this movie will be as enjoyable and successful as it seems. Bullock has clearly proven that her acting ability is top-notch, having starred in countless films, including her Academy Award-winning performance in “The Blind Side.” I would even venture to say that her experience in the two “Miss Congeniality” films will also serve her well as the FBI agent to McCarthy’s policewoman. Bullock’s past roles in these movies as well as “The Proposal” have also required her to balance humor with more serious scenes, which this new film may also require.

McCarthy, on the other hand, is an actress whom we have primarily seen in purely comedic roles. If her performance in this movie turns out to be anything like her work in “Bridesmaids,” then this film will definitely keep us laughing.

However, I think that we should take caution in getting overly enthused about the film at this early juncture. I think that Bullock and McCarthy will make a great pair, but I am cautious about predicting or anticipating the success of the film as a whole just yet.

Unfortunately, the acting alone is often not enough to make for a successful movie. Even the best or funniest actors can only do so much with a screenplay that fails to capture the audience’s interest. Films such as “Valentine’s Day” and “Bridesmaids” have been highly anticipated because of their casts chock-full of Hollywood A-listers, but not every such movie wins us over.

“New Year’s Eve” and “Mamma Mia!” for example, effectively made use of multiple talented actors in one movie, but other ensemble casts, such as that of “He’s Just Not That Into You,” have failed to deliver, in my opinion. I hope that both Bullock’s and McCarthy’s strengths are put to good use.

As a fan of both Bullock and McCarthy, I hope that this new film builds upon their individual success and fuses their abilities to make for a fun and enjoyable movie. I think it’s far too early to say whether this will be the equivalent of “Bridesmaids” or the equivalent of “The Proposal,” and audiences will have to be patient in this age of immediacy, and literally wait and see what happens.

Do you think Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy will make for a funny and interesting pair on-screen? Email Seikaly at [email protected]. “That’s A Wrap” runs every Monday.

Andrea Seikaly