Students vote down CURE referendum

By Jillian Beck

Students voted down a fee increase in Thursday night’s undergraduate student government elections.

The referendum, known as the Contingency USA/BOD Referendum Enactment, or CURE, would have increased the annual amount students pay to the Undergraduate Students Association by $9.

The last referendum that increased student fees was PLEDGE in 2009, which increased fees by $12.75 per student per year to support a coalition of seven student groups, including the UCLA Communications Board, the publisher of the Daily Bruin, and the UCLA Bruin Marching Band.

The increased fees would have been allocated to two programming funds that distribute money to student groups.

The referendum was introduced by this year’s council after a lower-than-expected surplus forced the council to drastically reduce student programming allocations.

The decrease in funding has affected student groups’ ability to plan events this year. The possibility of a similar situation next year led some student groups to largely support the referendum.

“I think (the referendum not passing) is going to make it difficult for my group and many other groups in future years,” said Daniel Feeney, a fourth-year business economics and political science student and the co-executive director of Project Literacy, a student group that tutors children.

Feeney said his group saw a drastic reduction in the money it was allocated this year, forcing members to scale back on field trips for the children they tutor.

When Eena Singh, Election Board chair and third-year anthropology student, announced that the referendum was voted down, a section of the crowd erupted into cheers.

Students said this week that because of recent tuition fee increases, they felt that the referendum came at a bad time.

“Even though (the referendum is) minimal, I think this imposition is inappropriate at this time,” said Maryanne Ibrahim, a fourth-year physiological science student.

Other students, however, said that supporting student groups was still important.

“In the long run, the money would (have helped) the student body,” said Devin Walpert, a first-year environmental science student who voted in favor of the referendum. “It would’ve been worth it, but unfortunately budget cuts have given every (fee increase) a negative connotation.”

While the council put the referendum on the ballot, only three councilmembers publicly supported the referendum. General Representative Jason Smith was the only councilmember to vote against putting the referendum on the ballot. He said he was not surprised the referendum did not pass because there was not a big push by students.

Current Student Welfare Commissioner Tamir Sholklapper said whether or not student groups receive adequate funding depends on the surplus next year.

“I have a hope that some referendum will pass eventually,” Sholklapper said. “Until then, we will be relying on surplus. That’s not a reliable source of funding.”

Contributing reports by Suzy Strutner and Alexia Boyarsky, Bruin reporters.

Jillian Beck