USAC Recap – May 8

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government of UCLA’s undergraduate students. Council meetings are Tuesdays at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students.

Agenda

• The council tabled a discussion about the Undergraduate Student Association budget for 2012-2013 until next week. The council discussed a possible 10 percent stipend increase.
  • The council approved changes to the Undergraduate Student Association Code of Ethics. The council unanimously approved the code.
  • Undergraduate Student Association bylaw changes, which included a request for a student representative on the Student Writing Success Program Board of Directors and the Office of Residential Life Academic Development Committee, were approved 8-0-1. Academic Affairs Commissioner Raquel Saxe abstained.

Officer reports

• President Emily Resnick said applications for the $750 Community Service Scholarship are due May 16. She said her office will review applications for the scholarship during seventh week. She also said her office is holding meetings to discuss Homecoming plans for next year.
  • Kristina Sidrak, internal vice president, said her office is working to consolidate USAC funding sources into one application that would simplify the application process for student groups. This application is set to be available this fall, she said.
  • Raquel Saxe, academic affairs commissioner, said her office was in discussion with the UCLA Anderson School of Management about the possibility of establishing an undergraduate business major or minor. She said UCLA’s online education program will be launched fall 2012.

Special Presentations

• Dr. Robert Singleton and Robert Farrell spoke to the council about memorializing the 1962 Freedom Rider Bond Fund Vote. In 1962, the council supported the use of student body funds to post bail for UCLA students incarcerated in Jackson, Miss., because of their participation in the 1961 Freedom Rides that were part of the Civil Rights Movement.