That's a wrap: _Humanized narratives of nature films resonate strongly with audiences_

Courtesy of DISNEYNATURE

By Andrea Seikaly

Growing up in San Diego, the world-famous San Diego Zoo and SeaWorld introduced me to wild animals from a young age. From elephants, giraffes and tigers to dolphins and Shamu, I was not only interested in these animals but also in the prospect of being able to see them up close.

Fortunately for those who aren’t season pass holders, many movies have begun to provide a more in-depth wildlife experience, such as Disneynature’s “Chimpanzee” which comes out in theaters this Friday. This movie tells the true story of an orphan baby chimp named Oscar and an older male chimp who ends up raising Oscar as his own.

In recent years, Disney has joined the nature film movement and has created its own subdivision called Disneynature. So far, the studio has created four films about the Earth, oceans, African cats and chimpanzees, which highlight the communal aspects of wildlife, and allow us to witness these animals going about their daily lives.

Which prompts the question ““ how are nature films marketed to us, and to what emotions or ideas are these films appealing?

One basic answer is that these movies anthropomorphize animals to show their “human” qualities and appeal to our sense of empathy and interest in the aspects of natural life that aren’t so different from our own. Parents can relate to a mother lioness defending her cubs, and the audience members feel the tug on their heartstrings as they watch, wait and hope for a lost chimp’s family to come retrieve him.

One of my first experiences with a nature film was a 2000 movie called “Dolphins.” Seeing and learning (in IMAX 3-D) about how dolphins have their own system of communication and interaction made me feel connected to them as I saw their journey through the ocean unfold.

When I first saw “March of the Penguins,” I was intrigued by the ways the penguins functioned in family-like units and endured the brutal conditions that they encountered throughout their journey.

I became emotionally invested in their march, and I think that many other viewers may have also felt this way. After all, when an analogy is drawn between human behavior and animal behavior, the film is no longer just a straightforward documentary on the lives of animals, it becomes more personal.

I think that “Chimpanzee” will continue the chain of commercial success of films in the Disneynature franchise. While the film highlights the natural wonders of the jungle and the structure of these monkeys’ lives, it is also a tale of family bonds and youthful curiosity.

These movies might seem like a form of animal exploitation to some, but I believe these films provide a rare glimpse into the lives, behaviors and extreme habitats of wildlife that most people would never experience otherwise. I think the goal of nature films is to capture and expose the true stories of animals’ lives in the wild, not to exploit these species.

“African Cats” included a Save the Savanna campaign in conjunction with the African Wildlife Foundation to promote the protection of a habitat that is home to a variety of species. In keeping with this initiative, “Chimpanzee” is being produced in partnership with the Jane Goodall Institute, founded by primatologist and conservationist Dr. Jane Goodall. During the first week of the film’s release, a donation of 20 cents per ticket will be made to save and protect chimpanzees.

That being said, I still wonder if we would care about the animals if their stories weren’t being told along the lines of a distinctly humanized narrative. I think the answer to this question is probably not, but the bottom line is that we like these types of stories anyway. These movies take us all over the world and tell us stories that we can relate to right here at home. Nature ““ and the opportunity to learn more about it ““ is a lot closer than we might think.

What do you think about nature and animal movies? Email Seikaly at [email protected]. “That’s a Wrap” runs every Monday.

Andrea Seikaly