UCLA baseball edges past CSU Fullerton

Sophomore shortstop Pat Valainka hit an RBI triple in UCLA’s 4-2 victory over Cal State Fullerton Tuesday night at Jackie Robinson Stadium.

Behind the Score:

4
Scoreless innings pitched by Watson

0
Hits allowed by Bruin relief pitchers

15
Beau Amaral's current hit streak

By Eric Peck

Every time a foul ball lands behind the bleachers at Jackie Robinson Stadium, a frantic competition begins as children climb over their parents and sprint up the concrete steps in search of the prize.

Determination and perseverance are key, and the most dedicated foul ball collectors never miss an opportunity to do so.

While No. 17 UCLA (22-7, 8-4 Pac-12) missed some opportunities on Tuesday night and appeared to struggle at times, the Bruins earned a 4-2 win over No. 12 Cal State Fullerton (21-11, 5-1 Big West).

Freshman left-hander Grant Watson pitched four no-hit innings and earned his team-leading seventh win of the season following a less-than-stellar performance against Oregon.

“I feel good, I felt like I was hitting my spots a lot better (Tuesday) than on Sunday. We’re getting better every game and we’re confident,” Watson said.

“He bounced back. It shows you he’s got some resiliency; he’s a tough guy and he’s taken some bumps along the way,” added coach John Savage.

“As a freshman, it’s always nice to see those guys bounce back. At this level, you’ve got to be able to take blows, it’s not smooth sailing all the time.”

UCLA took the lead in the first inning and never looked back, adding three more runs in the fourth inning. The 4-0 cushion kept the pressure off Watson and UCLA’s pitching was able to hold Fullerton to just four hits.

“We didn’t knock the door down, but we did enough offensively. I thought it was a very well-pitched game and a good defensive game. The effort on defense was really good to see,” Savage said.

Savage emphasized the Bruins’ defense on the night and specifically called attention to the play of sophomore shortstop Pat Valaika, who made a tough catch on a blistering line drive and sent a shot of his own down the left field line in the fourth inning for a triple.

“I had two strikes so I was just trying to put it in play,” Valaika said of his triple. “It got by the third baseman so I was going two, and I saw him in the corner, he didn’t have a good grip on the ball so I just didn’t stop and took third.”

Tuesday’s game was the first meeting between Savage and former assistant coach Rick Vanderhook, who is in his first year as Fullerton’s head coach.

“He’s a great coach, we got along very well here. I have a ton of respect for him and certainly their program. They’re having a terrific year and I certainly wish him and his team the best,” Savage said.

Eric Peck