No. 12 UCLA softball optimistic for matchup against No. 5 Arizona State

Senior utility Andrea Harrison and the Bruins face No. 5 Arizona State Sun Devils this weekend in Arizona.

By Emma Coghlan

Senior catcher Dani Yudin isn’t one to ramble, and when asked how the team was feeling going into their next few games, she kept it short and to the point.

“We feel pretty good,” she said with a grin. No embellishments, no explanations.

The No. 12 Bruins went two-for-three last weekend, showing stellar ability all around. Coming off that, they say they feel prepared for the No. 5 Arizona State Sun Devils, one of the best teams they have faced all season. The teams will play three games over the next three days in Tempe, Ariz.

The Sun Devils have rested high in the rankings since the early days of the season, and have rarely let their fans down, holding up a 32-4 record through the season.

By the stats, the Bruins and the Sun Devils are very similar teams, with fiery bats in the box and strong arms on the mound.

“Our plan is to go and swing it out there. … We just need to be sharper on defense to make sure we can get our pitching out of certain situations,” senior utility Andrea Harrison said.

Sophomore infielder Kellie Fox attributed the well-rounded nature of the team to its attitude at practices. She said there is competition between players for spots, pushing them to perform at their best.

While the Bruins will face their highest-ranked competition of the year in the Sun Devils, they are not varying their approach. The team identified offense as its strength early on, and Harrison has seen what its bats can do for them.

“The offense is great; if we keep heating up and crushing the ball, there’s no pitcher in the country that can beat us,” she said.

UCLA has not only seen outstanding offensive production from players at one through nine, but also from several of their bench players. Harrison noted that this is her first year in which the bench is not primarily there for pinch running or the occasional substitution, but is constantly ready and raring to go in the box. Fox agreed their contributions have been phenomenal.

“No matter what we need them for, they’re 100 percent ready … they’re so prepared it’s unbelievable,” Fox said.

To Fox, what continually spurs the team on isn’t any of the stats, not batting average nor the number in the win column ““ it’s the unity and passion it’s shown for the game of softball.

“We have a lot of heart. Our team, no matter the score, up or down, we’re never giving up. We’re just out there to play some Bruin ball.”

Emma Coghlan