Women's golf endures tough weather to win third straight title at the PING/ASU Invitational

The No. 1 UCLA women’s golf team won its third consecutive PING/ASU Invitational title.

Credit: UCLA Athletics

By the Numbers

12: UCLA finished the invitational a dozen shots below second-place host Arizona State.

45: This is the 45th team title won by the UCLA women's golf team under coach Carrie Forsyth.

5: Since 2004, the Bruins have won the PING/ASU title five times.

By Taylor Aquino

Junior golfer Tiffany Lua remained red hot until winter winds cooled her leading streak on the final day of the PING/ASU Invitational in Tempe, Ariz. One of her teammates, sophomore Ani Gulugian, went on to lead the Bruins for that day, helping the No. 1 women’s golf team earn its third consecutive victory at this annual invitational.

“The first two days were hot and dry,” said junior Lee Lopez.

“By day three it was 15 degrees cooler, (and) a lot more windy. It made it a whole different course. It was fun, but it was definitely a grind out there for us.”

Lua led her team on the first two days of the weekend invitational, posting scores that helped the Bruins steal first place on day two.

The third day of competition brought inclement weather and a less dominant performance from Lua, who had sprained her wrist before the weekend tournament.

“I was in a little more pain on the third day,” Lua said. “It was just a rough day overall.”

Despite her injury, Lua outplayed most of the other competitors at the tournament, and her offseason training will undoubtedly aid her as the season progresses.

Gulugian assumed the leading position in place of Lua on day three, ensuring the consistency that is characteristic of this championship-winning team.

The sophomore’s performance was successful as she tied for the individual champion spot with Demi Runas of No. 26 UC Davis.

This title is the first collegiate win for Gulugian.

“She played great in the final round,” said coach Carrie Forsyth.

“(Gulugian) was really steady the entire day; it’s hard to do when the wind is blowing that hard. It was a great performance.”

The inauspicious weather conditions made the course difficult for all of the athletes, giving UCLA an advantage in Gulugian.

Her ability to outplay the elements secured the victory for the Bruins.

Taylor Aquino