In the know: California lawmakers wear hoods for a cause

By Charley Guptill

California lawmakers have become the most recent group to don hoodies to pay tribute to Trayvon Martin, the unarmed Florida teen who was killed by neighborhood watchman George Zimmerman. A handful of senators and assemblymen wore hoodies during Thursday’s legislative session to call attention to the injustices of Martin’s death, namely that it seems to be racially motivated and that Zimmerman has not been prosecuted.

Others, such as U.S. Representative Bobby Rush and celebrities Jamie Foxx and LeBron James, have worn hoodies as an act of solidarity with the family and friends of Martin. The impact of the hoodie-wearing is far-reaching as more and more groups don the hoodies.

Hoodies may seem an odd choice for a symbol of solidarity, especially worn on the floor of the legislature. However, it is the fact that Martin was wearing a hoodie that made him look suspicious, Zimmerman told police.

Some have even said that Martin’s hoodie is to blame for his death. Fox News host Geraldo Rivera controversially said he felt if Martin had not worn the hoodie, Zimmerman would not have killed him.

It is this egregious victim-blaming that makes hoodie-wearing the perfect act of solidarity ““ not just among the supporters of Martin, but among all victims who have been blamed for the crimes committed against them.

Victim-blaming is an unfortunately common occurrence for many crimes, particularly hate crimes and acts of gender-based violence.

Hoodie-wearing by celebrities and members of public office has tremendous influence, as many Americans are exposed to the idea behind the act of hoodie-wearing ““ that blaming the victim is not a legitimate way to assign responsibility for crimes.

This hoodie campaign will also have a lasting influence beyond the Martin case. Women are still blamed for inviting rape by wearing short skirts. Gays are still blamed for getting assaulted after they flaunt their homosexuality.

Hoodie-wearing is not only an important symbol for justice in this killing, but it will also be important to all racially motivated, gender-based and discriminatory crimes where the victim is blamed.

Email Guptill at [email protected]. Send general comments to [email protected] or tweet us @DBOpinion.

Charley Guptill