B-sides: _Sasquatch! Music Festival a worthy counterpart to Coachella_

A few weeks ago, the following five words were the five I heard most often. In order from least to greatest frequency, they are: Coachella, Coachella, Coachella, Coachella and Coachella.

Yes, in the realm of West Coast music festivals, Coachella is king. It gets the most publicity, it’s got the bigger lineup, and it’s got the largest amount of diehard “I must get a wristband or my year is a bust” fans, in addition to a virtual monopoly on music-related Facebook status updates for a couple days after the lineups are released and tickets go on sale.

But standing slightly off to the side, quietly doing a great job without getting nearly the recognition Coachella gets, is Sasquatch! Music Festival. Taking place at The Gorge Amphitheatre in Washington over Memorial Day weekend, the festival boasts a more indie-oriented lineup than Coachella’s, especially in recent years as Coachella works to accommodate more varied and ““ dare I say it ““ mainstream tastes.

Now, that is not to say that Coachella has sold out and lost its draw. I would still love to have the opportunity to drive to Indio for a weekend of great music. But I think that Sasquatch offers a better and more picturesque experience, albeit for a slightly narrower niche of music fans.

Sasquatch is by no means a small festival. Despite being thought of as Coachella’s younger brother, it boasts more than 100 performances ranging across genres from indie to electronic music and hip-hop. And what a wonderful lineup it is.

Some of the bigger acts include Jack White, The Shins, Beck and Bon Iver. Quick gushing side note: The first echoing minute of “Perth,” from Bon Iver’s self-titled album from this past year, would sound epic, ethereal and all different ways of saying “amazing” when heard against the backdrop of The Gorge (more on that later).

Aside from the bigger names, though, Sasquatch will feature some of the best lesser-known groups in each respective genre. In terms of indie folk-alternative, fans will have the chance to see Beirut and its wonderful horns, mellow folksy group The Head & The Heart and also Explosions In the Sky, the poster children of instrumental post-rock music.

Also worth a look for anyone anxious to see a previously unfamiliar group is the group known as Cloud Cult. Cloud Cult’s music is an exercise in beautiful and multifaceted music, ranging from more standard band arrangements to orchestral symphony-esque songs. The band’s album “Light Chasers” would also sound wonderful in a natural amphitheatre ““ it begs to be played under the stars.

Hip-hop is also well represented. One prime example is Childish Gambino (also known as Donald Glover), who performed at Bruin Bash at the start of the school year and has since released an outstanding full-length album titled “Camp.” Another great hip-hop group to look forward to is The Roots, whose album “Undun” was probably one of the best hip-hop albums of 2011.

For those aching for some electronic beats, Nero will be performing its dubstep-y music, a la its last album “Welcome Reality.”

What if your life just wouldn’t be complete without some bluegrass? Don’t worry, the banjo-picking inferno that is Trampled by Turtles will also be onstage at some point during the weekend.

And all this music will be played against the backdrop of what is perhaps one of the most beautiful outdoor music venues, well, ever.

The Gorge Amphitheatre in Washington is just that ““ a gorge which creates natural amphitheater-style seating, with a stage at the bottom of the slope. There’s something to be said for being surrounded by awe-inspiring scenery while listening to awe-inspiring music.

It’s not the easiest festival to go to. The Gorge is reputedly hard to find, and tickets still come with a nightmarish price tag, though the festival is four days instead of Coachella’s three. But for those willing to shell out the cash for a music festival and missed the Coachella train, Sasquatch is a great alternative, if not a better festival outright.

I for one will be spending my Memorial Day weekend wishing I were up north in Washington laying on the side of a hill, listening to and looking at two entirely different varieties of beauty.

Would you rather go to Sasquatch or Coachella? Email Bain at [email protected]. “B-sides” runs every Monday.