Joy Sticks: _Video games provide players with an escape to an alternate reality_

By Matthew Overstreet

I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again: Video games have an innate ability to submerge the player in the world of the game.

In films or novels, creators have to work incredibly hard to ensure that the viewers or readers devote all of their attention to the work they’ve created. In video games, the creators would have to work pretty hard not to have the players submerge themselves in the worlds they create.

In a video game, the player literally has to take control of the action of the main character ““ without the player, the protagonist would just stand around doing nothing. Compare this to movies, where the audience simply watches the action unfold on the screen.

But in a lot of ways, with the graphic improvements that video games have made in the last decade or so, they’ve started to follow in the footsteps of film.

Films let people escape the humdrum of everyday life for two hours at a time. Films let viewers adventure into new worlds and revel in new plots surrounding a relatable main character.

Now imagine that instead of having to relate to the main character, you are the main character. How much easier would it be to lose yourself in the world presented to you? Well, that’s what video games do ““ they let you fill the shoes of the main character.

A game like “Uncharted” is a perfect example of this escapism. “Uncharted 2: Among Thieves” was highly praised for its cinematic quality and its movie-like pacing and action sequences. The game allows players to experience an alternate reality in the treasure-hunting, world-exploring ways of Nathan Drake, the protagonist.

In a lot of ways, games are a more potent form of escapism than films. With a movie, viewers are along for the ride, whether or not that’s the experience they want.

In a video game, the experience is always changing and is adjustable because of the way that most games are designed. Want to see plenty of gunplay and explosions? Charge in guns a-blazing. Want a tense stealth experience? Go for it. Want a realistic shooter? Turn up the difficulty, and use plenty of cover.

Recent hit “The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim” is a great example of this self-determination. If “Skyrim” were a film, the viewer would be forced to watch a movie where a noble warrior discovers he has powers and eventually saves the kingdom. But because “Skyrim” is a game, players can forge their own path and script their own experience. The player can choose from a variety of races, roles and plots.

Now, I’m not saying that movies don’t have their place ““ they’re cheaper than video games for the most part, and sometimes you don’t want to initiate experiences.

Still, the appeal of video games as a form of escapism is clear, and anyone who has a friend or loved one that plays “Skyrim” probably knows how effective they are in this aspect. Next time you want to take a break from real life, though, why not join them in the land of Skyrim?

If you want more information on video games or anything related to them, email Overstreet at [email protected]. “Joy Sticks” runs every Thursday.

Matthew Overstreet