UCLA women’s basketball defeats Oregon State thanks to improvements in defense, offense

By Steven Covella

Coach Cori Close’s message at practice Wednesday was simple: improve, which is exactly what the UCLA women’s basketball team did Thursday night.

Following a tough loss to USC, where they especially struggled with shooting and rebounding, UCLA improved in nearly every facet of the game in a 69-60 win over Oregon State (11-7, 2-5).

“We had to create easier opportunities on both defense and offense and rebound. We said if we did those two things, we’d win, and that’s exactly what happened,” Close said.

UCLA’s strong performance was personified in junior forward Markel Walker, who contributed in a variety of ways, nearly recording a triple-double with 16 points, 18 rebounds and nine assists.

“Once we got momentum, my teammates started cutting off of me, I started finding them and they found me. We started playing as a unit,” Walker said. “And if I can get a rebound, assist or point, then I’ll do it.”

One area it was clear the Bruins put heavy emphasis on was pushing the ball in transition off of defensive rebounds and turnovers.

UCLA’s imposing play on the defensive end, where it held Oregon State to 22 of 62 shooting from the field, led to easy opportunities in transition.

Despite their depleted roster, which has been ravaged by injuries, the shorthanded Bruins’ up-tempo style was effective against the Beavers, whom they outscored 12 to two on fast breaks.

“We’re low on numbers and (the players) want to run up and down, not walk the ball up the court,” Close said.

“We have seven players, so we have a choice to make, suck it up and go do it and that’s what they did.”

UCLA’s leading scorer, senior guard Rebekah Gardner, was again a big factor in the team’s offensive success. Gardner contributed a game-high 19 points on 8-of-13 shooting from the field.

“Getting easy buckets in transition, that makes all the other shots easier. It takes pressure off of the jump shots,” Gardner said.

Although UCLA is happy with its bounce-back win against Oregon State, Close and the Bruins aren’t complacent. Instead, the team is looking to improve going into Saturday’s game against Oregon and then the rest of conference play.

“We now have to come in with an edge … at practice because it doesn’t mean anything if we (lose to Oregon),” Close said.

“We have to come back with the same edge we did after ‘SC to improve, grow and prepare to get a win on Saturday.”

The Bruins will look to carry the momentum from Thursday night’s game into the weekend.

UCLA has Friday off but hosts the Oregon Ducks in the John Wooden Center.

Following the contest with Oregon, UCLA will travel for a two-game roadtrip against conference newcomers Utah and Colorado.

The Bruins’ games against both the Utes and Buffaloes will be the first meetings of the season.

Steven Covella