Men’s tennis has high hopes for the year as the team begins play for the new season

Sophomore Clay Thompson will look to build off of his victory in the Southern California Intercollegiate Championships as the UCLA men’s tennis team travels to Thousand Oaks this weekend to compete in the Sherwood Collegiate Cup.

By this time of the year, most people have already given up on their New Year’s resolutions.

But not the No. 9 nationally ranked Bruins men’s tennis team. It’s just getting started.

“(Our New Year’s resolution is to) try to win an NCAA Championship,” coach Billy Martin said. “I think it’s definitely within the realm of possibility.”

UCLA starts its first tournament of the season at the Sherwood Collegiate Cup in Thousand Oaks on Friday. It takes on USC, Stanford and Baylor, which are all ranked in the top 10 in the country.

Eight Bruins will compete in the tournament, with redshirt senior Nick Meister being the only ranked Bruin in singles, who checks in at No. 5.

Meister and sophomore Clay Thompson are ranked fourth in this weekend’s tournament as doubles partners.

“We are a very young team, we have to prove ourselves,” Martin said. “We only have one senior this year, a few juniors and lots of freshmen and sophomores that are going to play an intricate part of our team, so we are going to have to see how these guys react.”

One sophomore that is expected to have a big role on the team this year is in fact Thompson, the No. 72 nationally ranked singles player who won the 55th Southern California Intercollegiate Championships singles division in the fall.

“The fall was really tough for me. My mind was really not in the right place at all,” Thompson said. “I think towards the end of that tournament, I really got it together and kind of opened my eyes to what could be the future of this team and the future of, even, my pro career.”

After struggling to make tennis his number one priority, Thompson has made the decision that he is going to change that this year.

“I just made the resolution on this New Year’s that this is my year, if I am going to do anything with this sport, I want it to be this year,” Thompson said. “I will just give it this one full year, whatever it takes, I’m going to give it and we will see how it ends up in 2013.”

Thompson plans to take it to the next level and lead by example this year, starting with the Sherwood Collegiate Cup.

“Last year I got to the second round, so I hope I can do better,” Thompson said. “I want to really set a good example and lead the team if possible to set a solid quota for them to do well.”

Martin believes this will be a breakout season for Thompson.

“I think Clay is really going to have a good season,” Martin said.

“He’s really been working hard, he’s really focused, he’s really determined. I think with a year of college tennis under his belt, he is going to be a little more mature.”

Another Bruin expected to provide a significant boost to the team is freshman Marcos Giron, who is ranked No. 86 in singles nationwide.

“I was hurt last year (with a broken wrist), so I want to come back strong, and hopefully lead the Bruins to a successful year,” Giron said. “I really want to do well here and I feel like our team is good this year.”

“I don’t really have any expectations right now, because I was hurt so I haven’t really had too much match practice, but I feel like I have been playing well the last few weeks and I feel pretty good right now and I think I can do well and win a few rounds (in this weekend’s tournament).”

This is just the start of a season that will be a grind both physically and mentally and the players will have to stay motivated in order to succeed.

“We got to really be focused and really want to live, sleep and dream about tennis and want to hold up that championship trophy in May,” Martin said.

If the team puts in the hard work and dedication that their coach is seeking from them, the Bruins have a legitimate chance to keep their resolution of capturing their 17th national championship.