Swim finishes first in San Diego Relays, while dive takes second in home meet

Women’s Swimming
UCLA 276
Boise State 225
San Jose State 211

Women’s Diving
Nebraska 277.05
UCLA 261.65
Boise State 244.50

By Taylor Aquino

Flying, traveling and unpacking are commonplace during the holidays, especially at the end of a refreshing winter break. The UCLA women’s swim and dive team arrived at the pool and departed from this last work-free weekend triumphant and probably refreshed as well. The teams split to commence the new year’s competition both away and at home.

Women’s swimming endured a three-week winter program successfully, with a win over Boise State and a first-place crown at the San Diego Relays competition. The athletes competed against Boise State on Wednesday and dominated down in La Jolla on Saturday.

Wednesday’s meet ended with six meet records and 12 season-best times for the Bruins in their second consecutive win over Boise State.

The San Diego Relays on Saturday consisted solely of relay teams from seven schools. The Bruins tallied four first-place finishes in the 300 butterfly relay, 200 and 500 freestyle relays and the 4×100 medley relay. The relay teams also finished second in the 300 backstroke and 800 freestyle relays; third in the 300 breaststroke, 400 medley and 400 freestyle relays; and fourth in the 1500 freestyle relay. UCLA ended the day in first place before Boise State and San Jose State, respectively.

While the swimmers partook in relays, the diving team hosted Nebraska and Boise State on Saturday at the Spieker Aquatics Center. Competition was divided oddly for this rare home meet as six divers executed the three-meter dive to contribute to a combined score for the team. With a total score of 261.65 points, UCLA edged out Boise State (244.50), but it fell second to Nebraska (277.05).

The weekend ended with good tidings for both teams as the athletes improved in competition after the respite offered by winter break. With the dawn of 2012 underway and NCAA’s on the horizon, the Bruins aim to prolong this success as the season unravels.

Compiled by Taylor Aquino, Bruin Sports contributor.

Taylor Aquino