In the know: Imprisoned hikers released

By Rohan Viswanathan

Late Wednesday the last two of the famous imprisoned hikers of Iran were finally released.

Josh Fattal, Shane Bauer and Sarah Shourd were detained more than two years ago while hiking in the Kurdistan region of Iraq. The charges were severe: all three were accused of being spies. Sarah Shourd was released in September of last year because of health conditions, her pleas for help answered on humanitarian grounds. The release of the hikers runs much deeper then the heartwarming story it superficially presents itself to be; it is a monument to American-Iranian relations.

For years now, Iran has replaced the Soviet Union as the capital of evil in the minds of the American public. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has been lambasted from Stephen Colbert to the panel on “Meet the Press.” But this subtle sentiment of releasing these hikers, when they were originally sentenced to eight years in jail, shows that it may be possible to repair America’s shattered relationship with Iran. Strengthening diplomatic relationships can be the beginning of a partnership with Iran. Whether an immediate alliance can be formed between the two nations is unclear, but the next time we as the people of America decide to visualize evil, I sincerely hope our mind strays away from the red, white and green flag of Iran.

Compiled by Rohan Viswanathan

Rohan Viswanathan