The low draft picks of Tyler Honeycutt and Malcolm Lee result in extra effort to make their decision of going professional worthwhile

By Daniel Khayat

June 27, 2011 1:27 a.m.

The 2011 NBA Draft is over, which means two things: We don’t need to hear ESPN analyst Jay Bilas rave about a prospect’s “rejumpability” for at least another year, and people will finally get to see whether former Bruins Tyler Honeycutt and Malcolm Lee made the right decision by forgoing their final years in Westwood to make the leap to the pros.

But whether their decision was the right one or not, there’s nothing anyone can do about it now. Both their names were called on Thursday night in New Jersey.

However, it was deputy commissioner Adam Silver who announced their respective new teams, not actual commissioner David Stern, which meant that both Bruins slipped into the second round despite hopes to the contrary.

Honeycutt was taken 35th overall by the lowly Sacramento Kings. Lee was drafted with the 43rd pick by the Chicago Bulls, who then traded him to the even lowlier Minnesota Timberwolves as part of a preconceived deal.

There are perks that come with being on two teams that won a combined 41 games in 2010-2011 and occupied the bottom two slots in the Western Conference at season’s end.

There’s a few reasons why the teams were terrible, but one stands out: a lack of quality players.

Make no mistake about it ““ both Lee and Honeycutt will make their new teams’ NBA rosters coming out of training camp (assuming the season isn’t obliterated by a lockout). It’s not like either of them is Chukw”¦

Chukwudiebe”¦

That guy the Lakers took with the 56th pick who somehow averaged less than one point per game in the D-League last year.

Having said that, however, it remains to be seen just how much playing time either of them will receive, both this year and going forward.

Honeycutt finds himself in an awkward situation as a small forward with the Kings ““ Sacramento already has Omri Casspi, Donte Greene and Francisco Garcia on the wings, and traded for John Salmons on draft day.

Unless he improves his strength significantly and becomes a more consistent offensive presence, I think Honeycutt could end up lost in the shuffle. He’s 6-foot-8-inch, but weighs only 200 pounds after a few dozen tacos and reportedly couldn’t bench 185 pounds even one time at a pre-draft workout.

You’re telling me he’s supposed to guard LeBron when the Heat come to town?

Lee’s situation is a bit more favorable, since the T-Wolves are thin on talent at … well, everywhere, but especially guard. Lee should contribute right away simply because of his defensive prowess ““ this is the same guy who held lottery picks Jimmer Fredette and Klay Thompson to two-of-eight and six-of-17 shooting, respectively, within two weeks of each other last season.

In short, don’t expect to hear the names of either of these former Bruins blaring through the P.A. system in any NBA arena too often this year.

However, look for them to contribute in any way they possibly can. On such bad teams, opportunities to prove themselves will come along far more often than they would on teams with deeper benches.

If you have any idea how to spell the 56th pick’s name, email Khayat at [email protected].

Daniel Khayat