Apron parking in the North Village will now face parking citations

By Kelly Zhou

Beginning next week, students will face parking citations for illegal apron parking in the North Village, according to officials.

Throughout this week, cars parked perpendicularly to the street and blocking part of the sidewalk will receive yellow warning notices, reminding students to obey the law and to move their cars.

Parking citations are currently about $58, said Bruce Gillman, spokesman for the City of Los Angeles Department of Transportation. If students rack up five or more unpaid parking tickets, their cars are subject to being towed and impounded, which means paying more money for towing and storage fees, Gillman said.

“We now will enforce (in Westwood) as we do throughout the rest of the city,” Gillman said.

Apron parking is usually ignored in the Westwood area because of the severe lack of parking for students. But after lawsuits against the city in May, the city attorney’s office told LADOT to begin enforcing this rule. To avoid disrupting the end of the quarter and studying for finals, ticketing was suspended temporarily after city councilmember Paul Koretz’s office intervened.

Koretz’s office is in discussions with UCLA to try to find solutions and help provide parking to students who need it, said Koretz’s representative, Paul Neuman.

“We’re looking to alternative modes of transportation and hopefully the summer will allow people to examine that,” Neuman said, mentioning biking and walking.

Kelly Zhou