UCLA student magicians practice, perform the complex art of illusion

From left, third-year history student Aaron Rabkin, second-year philosophy student Krystyn Lambert and second-year neuroscience student Matt Singer, who balance schoolwork with magic.

This article is part of the Daily Bruin’s Graduation Issue 2011 coverage. To view the entire package of articles, columns and multimedia, please visit:

42875_web.6.6.gradissue.bannero.jpg

By Kassy Cho

June 6, 2011 1:46 a.m.

Turning black aces into red aces and linking and unlinking metal rings are just a few of the magic tricks Krystyn Lambert has up her sleeve.

The second-year philosophy student, who has already established herself as a magician through a personal website and magic show performances on TV, said she loves the allure of applying logic to the seemingly impossible.

“When I encountered something where every door of possibility was closed, and (I was) just left with this impossible feat, I was enthralled,” Lambert said, shuffling a deck of cards.

Despite discovering her calling in life at an early age, Lambert said she grew up feeling isolated.

“In high school, people thought magic was cool, but they didn’t really get me,” Lambert said. “I was ridiculed a lot.”

When applying to colleges, she chose UCLA for its location in the heart of the entertainment industry and a big magic scene. Once she arrived, she said, she fit right in.

“(Students at UCLA) all share that same drive, so a lot of things I was made fun of for in high school have made me very well-liked here at UCLA,” Lambert said.

Like Lambert, Aaron Rabkin, a third-year history student, said he chose UCLA for its proximity to the entertainment industry. He met Lambert when the two successfully auditioned for the Magic Castle Junior Society at the Magic Castle in Hollywood, where young magicians train and perform for other magic enthusiasts.

“Getting in (to the program) just opened Pandora’s box for me,” said Rabkin. “You get to meet people you usually don’t have the chance (to). It’s a whole underground world of sorts.”

Sitting outside of the North Campus Student Center, Rabkin pulls out a 20 dollar bill and sticks a pencil through it. With ease, he removes the pencil with the dollar bill intact.

With a grin, he sticks the pencil through the bill again and appears to rip the bill in half as he removes the pencil. He unfolds the bill to reveal the bill still in one piece.

Magicians have to practice and perform for hours until things become second nature, Rabkin said. Learning to hold cards in certain ways to keep people only looking at the magician’s hand takes time, said Matt Singer, a second-year neuroscience student who also practices magic.

Singer, who has performed at private parties and events in Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley, said he enjoys magic tricks because he is able to entertain a crowd at any time.

“It’s really cool to show people something when they least expect it,” he said. “It’s the greatest feeling to know they have no idea what’s been going on.”

Although magic was once his life goal, leading him to quit band and change high schools, Rabkin is now a self-proclaimed “rebel magician,” choosing to only practice magic in certain situations.

Besides magic, Rabkin does stand-up comedy, makes films and is one of the founders of the Midvale Sessions, at which he often performs. Although Rabkin does not see magic as a career, he said it is something that can help him be a catalyst for positive spirits.

“I am knowledgeable about magic and was obsessed for a while, but now I’m just a performer-entertainer who just happens to do magic,” he said.

Singer said he came to UCLA primarily to get a science degree and go to medical school, but continues to perform magic on the side. The activity keeps his brain in check and stimulates creativity, he said.

Lambert, on the other hand, has traveled extensively across the country to perform and compete, winning several awards in the process.

She has also appeared in the TV show “Masters of Illusion” and a new documentary film, “Make Believe,” which traces the lives of six teen magicians.

With frequent performances, Lambert said it has become increasingly difficult to balance school with her activities as a magician. She added that she may have to become a part-time student in the fall in order to pursue a career in the field.

“It’s what I expect to do when I’m out of college and now being so young and having these opportunities come up, (it’s) really the time for me to push forward with magic,” she said.

Hard work can sometimes be painful ““ one trick gave Lambert blood blisters on her hands. When people asked how she got them, however, she had to keep mum. The integrity of the trick was at stake.

“With magic, the art is to hide the art,” she said. “I can’t tell you how it happened or I’d tell you how I did my trick.”

Kassy Cho