Dedicated to the seasons of love

This column is part of the Daily Bruin’s Graduation Issue 2011 coverage. To view the entire package of articles, columns and multimedia, please visit:

42875_web.6.6.gradissue.bannero.jpg

By Maryia Krivoruchko

If I had three words to depict the most meaningful part of the last four years, it would not be “attending linguistics lecture,” “exploring Los Angeles” or “drinking wine again.” As is true for many of the 30 columnists on this page, it would be “the Daily Bruin.”

This paper has given me many memorable experiences. But, instead of reminiscing about interviewing rappers, a student porn star or writing a cooking (or rather an “I Can’t Cook”) column, I want to write about three people. They are the ones who have not only symbolized but also epitomized my senior year ““ my three assistant Arts and Entertainment editors ““ my “pookies.”

If each quarter represents one of the editors, fall was Sammie Suchland. My dear Spotlight blog editor showed me what ambition means when she instantaneously took on the role of music editor after a sudden staff change. Fall quarter at the paper was happy, satisfying and exciting in terms of the future ahead. Sammie, next year’s prime magazine editor, was each one of the adjectives I can use to describe that wonderful time. So, thank you “Sammuelle,” for being the picture of normalcy in the midst of office and life commotion.

If fall quarter was Sammie, winter quarter was my theater and lifestyle editor Lauren Roberts. Halfway through my senior year, I ran into some difficult times in my personal life. Lauren, who remains the hardest worker I have ever met, was not just there when she was needed. She stayed at the office until it was dark outside (though time is something we can never gauge because of the lack of windows), making sure the a&e section looked the way it should when I wasn’t strong enough to be there. If we all had the work ethic of Ms. Roberts, the world would go around a little faster, so truly, thank you.

Finally, spring quarter was “Pookie” Alex Goodman. As graduation crept closer, I crossed the edge of sanity during the second week of spring quarter and still look forward to returning. Pookie brought me back to semi-normalcy many times, reminding me of the light at the end of that windowless office tunnel, though he was going pre-graduation crazy too. If there was one person I could have gone insane with, I’m glad it was Pookie. Thank you, Alex, for all of the great office moments.

So, this final column is for my pookies ““ I could not have done it without you. Thank you for all of your work, all of the laughter, the long, awkward hours and good times. Thanks for putting up with me as your boss, and remember that even years from now, we’ll all be a part of a&e: Sometimes we may be art, but we’re always entertainment.

Krivoruchko was a&e editor for 2010-2011, assistant a&e editor for 2009-2010 and an a&e contributor from 2007-2009.

Maryia Krivoruchko