LIVE BLOG: the 25th Annual JazzReggae Festival, Jam Day

By Arit John

The sun is out, and arts and entertainment reporter Arit John will be giving you the scoop on the sights and sounds from Jazz Reggae Festival’s Jam Day, featuring Lupe Fiasco and Talib Kweli. Whether you missed out on tickets or are stuck at home studying, keep checking in until 7 p.m. for the latest on all things jazzy and reggae-related.

Updated at 7:11 p.m.
Lupe’s mike went out for the final song, but his freestyle made up for it. And with that, Jam Day is done.

Updated at 6:54 p.m.
Encore! Lupe just did “The Show Goes On.”

Updated at 6:48 p.m.
Lupe finished up his set with “Superstar.” Encore?

Updated at 6:14 p.m.
Lupe’s got his go go gadget flow.

Updated at 6:09 p.m.
Lupe is the most high energy performance of the day. And he’s spraying the crowd with water.

Updated at 5:55 p.m.
Looks like everyone in Lupe’s back-up band got the memo to wear camouflage pants. Lupe’s on!

Updated at 5:49 p.m.
The crowd is getting antsy, but the stage crew is tossing water bottles at us. That doesn’t seem safe, and now is not the time to leave the front of the stage for a water break.

Updated at 5:33 p.m.
The Miguel Atwood-Ferguson Ensemble just wrapped up with a very mellow finale. Now they’re setting up for Lupe Fiasco!

Updated at 5:20 p.m.
Ndegeocello dedicated her second song to Gill Scott-Heron, who died on Friday.

Updated at 5:09 p.m.
Me’shell Ndegeocello is singing her first song. She must be burning up in that black jacket.

Updated at 4:54 p.m.
Just over two hours left and still no sign of Lupe. But Bilal’s soulful voice might be the next best thing.

Updated at 4:50 p.m.
Standing room by the stage has become prime real estate. It’s taking some aggressive maneuvering to get close for Lupe’s set.

Updated at 4:43 p.m.
Pharoahe Monch dedicated his last song, “Still Standing,” to everyone who’s persevering. It’s a good finals week song.

Updated at 4:37 p.m.
Talib Kweli only did a couple of songs, now it’s rapper Pharoahe Monch on stage. The Miguel Atwood-Ferguson Ensemble is still on stage laying down the beat.

Updated at 4:19 p.m.
Talib Kweli just hit the stage!

Updated at 4:14 p.m.
Taking a break to check out the food vendors. I wish I’d bought an ice cream cone when the line wasn’t 40-people long.

Updated at 3:53 p.m.
Next up is Miguel Atwood-Ferguson Ensemble. Nice violin solo!

Updated at 3:17 p.m.
Another song off Little Dragon’s latest album. The bass is so low I feel like my lungs are vibrating off my rib cage.

Updated at 3:08 p.m.
The Little Dragon lead singer is singing and dancing under a giant scarf. I guess it is pretty hot.

Updated at 2:55 p.m.
The crowd is up and dancing, and Little Dragon is playing one of its new songs. If you were waiting for things to start up before showing up, then you should have been here five minutes ago.

Updated at 2:43 p.m.
Little Dragon is setting up on the stage. People are starting to crowd up near the front of the stage.

Updated at 2:06 p.m.
Lee Fields & The Expressions dedicated a song to all the ladies, fittingly called “Ladies.”

Updated at 1:55 p.m.
Lee Fields just asked the crowd if we want some money. Are you offering, Mr. Fields?

Updated at 1:46 p.m.
Lee Fields just made his entrance, wearing stunner shades and a gray suit. Classy man.

Updated at 1:39 p.m.
Up next is Lee Fields & The Expressions!

Updated at 1:24 p.m.
The Stepkids really know how to close a set.

Updated at 1:05 p.m.
The Stepkids are a little bit of funk, a little bit of jazz and a little bit of odd techno experimental sound. Overall, a good combination.

Updated at 12:38 p.m.
Le J Trio just finished up its set. The Stepkids are setting up. I’m digging the zebra jumpsuit look.

Updated at 12:28 p.m.
And they tap dance, too? What next?

Updated at 12:26 p.m.
Now they’re rapping, and the crowd is into it.

Updated at 12:15 p.m.
At the same time, Le J Trio’s second song was Brazilian, and its third song is Indian ““ definitely still jazzy, though.

Updated at 12:12 p.m.
Le J Trio has a flute player, a sax player and a trombone player. It’s definitely jazz day.

Updated at 12:01 p.m.
It’s cool and cloudy, the perfect weather for being outside all day. There aren’t a lot of people on stage, but Le J Trio Collective is here and ready to start.

Arit John