Restaurant Review: Il Tramezzino

Il Tramezzino
Anderson School of Management
paw_t820.pngpaw_t820.pngpaw_t820.pngpaw_t820.png

Related stories:
Il Tramezzino opens at Anderson School

By Andrea Wang

Il Tramezzino buzzed with the energy expected of a new restaurant. Employees were all smiles as they wiped countertops and placed imported Milanese cannolis behind glass displays. I sneezed as I walked up to view the menu, and at least three workers said “bless you” together in an animated chorus.

Eager to please, the cashier helped me combat my indecisiveness by offering suggestions from their long menu. We tackled the list of neatly printed entrees, moving past breakfast items, drinks, salads, pastas and more until I made up my mind. The best part about the eatery is that its food is as good as its service.

I settled for the restaurant’s pizza margarita, which was easy to love. At Il Tramezzino, the personal-sized treat is made with phyllo, sheets of paper-thin flour dough that substitute for the more familiar, bready crust. Now when it comes to pizza, my taste scares people. I love my pizza crust hearty, strong enough to support the weight of dripping cheese and toppings, a food that demands to be cradled with both hands.

I was a little apprehensive about the swap, but all doubt disappeared as I sank my teeth into the flaky puff pastry. Incredibly delicate in texture, the pizza had a thin layer of tomato sauce with minced garlic, melted mozzarella, fresh Roma tomatoes and chopped basil. Unlike my usual pizza preferences, Il Tramezzino’s option didn’t drop like a 5-ton weight into my stomach, and I was thankful for that.

The portion was small, so I also purchased half an order of a panini to go. It came neatly wrapped in wax paper and tinfoil to preserve warmth. Called the famous chicken special, the grilled sandwich packs sun-dried tomato, avocado, provolone cheese and chicken between two halves of Italian roll spread with basil garlic aioli. The sandwich is extremely light in flavor because of the milky avocado and warm provolone. Though I wished its flavors left a bigger statement, I enjoyed that the bread remained crisp with every bite, instead of dripping with oil like the sandwiches at Café 1919 on the Hill.

If you’re planning to order lemonade, prepare to pucker. They make it fresh each morning, and though slightly sweetened with agave nectar, the drink still packs a sour kick. For me, it was the perfect way to wash down a bite of panini, especially as the weather gets warmer.

My order came out to about $13, and I left full, not stuffed. If the thought of fast food at Ackerman Union leaves a bad taste in your mouth, I’d suggest making the trek over to the Anderson School of Management for lunch at Il Tramezzino.

““ Andrea Wang
Email Wang at [email protected]

Andrea Wang