UCLA men’s golf will start postseason play as No. 1 seed in NCAA West Regional Championships

By Manny Redruello

The No. 4 UCLA men’s golf team was awarded the top seed in the NCAA West Regional Championships on Monday.

The Bruins will head to The Farms Golf Course in Santa Fe on May 19 for the three-round tournament hosted by the University of San Diego.

Of the field of 13 teams, which includes No. 10 Texas and No. 20 USC, five will advance to the NCAA Championships in Stillwater, Okla. on May 31.

Last year, the Bruins placed third in the East Regional. UCLA last won a regional in 2009, when they captured the Central Region crown.

The Bruins are hoping to extend a school-record eight straight advances from regional competition.
Award Season

UCLA freshman Patrick Cantlay was named both Pac-10 Player of the Year and Freshman of the Year, and UCLA head coach Derek Freeman was named Coach of the Year.

Cantlay, who is currently the No. 4 golfer in the nation, won three tournaments as an individual this season and held the No. 1 ranking in the country for a period of several weeks. He is just the second player ever to win both Freshman of the Year and Player of the Year in the same season.

Under Freeman’s guidance, the Bruins recorded nine finishes in the top four, winning three, and placed third in the Pac-10 Championships, a mere three strokes shy of first place.

Junior Gregor Main and sophomore Pontus Widegren will also join Cantlay on the All-Pac-10 First Team. Both players have been All-Conference honorees each of their respective years at UCLA.

Compiled by Manny Redruello, Bruin Sports contributor.

Manny Redruello