Freshen your drink

Contro Lado

If you come in and ask for something spicy with tequila, there’s a good chance you’ll get the Contro Lado. This fiery cocktail was Hewes’ first personal contribution to the Library and is made of tequila, ginger, red and yellow peppers, lemon, honey and jalapeno. The level of heat can be raised or lessened to your liking, but know this drink packs a punch.

By Saba Mohtasham

Karolin Palmer Picard

New Old Fashioned

The Library puts its stamp on this classic cocktail by combining crushed kumquat with chocolate chili bitters, a sugar cube and Rittenhouse 100 Rye Whiskey, topped off with a kumquat slice that accentuates the drink’s vibrant orange tint.

Karolin Palmer Picard

Untitled

Hewes’ latest concoction may be short a name, but it’s definitely not short on ingredients ““ it even features his signature vodka. Infused with cinnamon, cardamom, orange peels, star anise, cloves and yerba mate chai (a South American, highly caffeinated tea), the vodka is mixed with lemon, blood orange juice, honey and mint and is topped with Angostura bitters to create a fragrant pink cocktail with a smoothie-like consistency.

Karolin Palmer Picard

The Last Tango in Modena

Arguably the Library’s best known cocktail, The Last Tango in Modena is named after Modena, Italy, where balsamic vinegar originated. Made with 25-year-old balsamic vinegar, strawberries, Hendrick’s Gin and St. Germain’s foam on top, Last Tango’s thick black appearance can be off-putting, but the finished product is a pleasant blend of sweet and savory flavors.

The Library Bar sits nestled away in a small, dark corner of the Roosevelt Hotel in Hollywood. But in this small room, something big is happening.

“We’re trying to change the way people drink,” said Chris Hewes, one of the Library’s four bartenders.

They’re doing so in a few ways. First off, they’ve thrown out the cocktail menu. Literally. The Library’s bartenders prefer to get to know their visitors ““ where they’ve been, what they like ““ and make them something fresh.

And it doesn’t get much fresher than the Library. With seasonal produce such as kumquats and strawberries lying across the counter, customers get to see what goes into their drinks.

The bartenders gather most of the ingredients from spice and farmers markets and use them to make as much as possible in-house.

From lavender and ginger syrups to daily-squeezed blood orange and celery juices, the Library keeps its cocktails as natural as possible. They strive to use only natural sugars and avoid flavored liqueurs.

The Library’s innovative take on drinks was jump-started about two years ago by head bartender Matt Biancaniello, who saw the quality and price of the bar’s drinks and decided he would give visitors their money’s worth.

Biancaniello was also named Los Angeles’ best bartender in 2010 by the restaurant and bar blog “table 20.”

Ever since its makeover, the Library has boasted original drinks made with nontraditional ingredients such as mushroom-infused bourbon and black lava salt from Hawaii.

While many newcomers tend to be hesitant about trying these unusual concoctions, Hewes said if you don’t like it, they won’t charge you.
“The best way to do it is let me put the cocktail in my hands and just tell me what you like,” Hewes said.

In an effort to make well-balanced cocktails that spark conversations, the Library has thrown out the rule book and isn’t afraid to start from scratch.

“We try to give you an experience when you come here,” Hewes said. “We’re making cocktails classy again.”

Saba Mohtasham