USAC platforms take on big projects

By Shoshee Jau and James Barragan

As elections for the undergraduate student government approach, proposed platforms include plans for meal swipes on campus, lower student parking fees and sustainability programs.

But popular platforms like these often echo efforts of previous officers who have been unsuccessful in implementing them.

Because launching programs often takes more than two or three quarters to execute, officers need to prioritize and make compromises, said Berky Nelson, administrative representative.

Although individual candidates run for office under more specific and ambitious platforms, their goals mostly serve as general guidelines for the council throughout the year, Nelson said.

“There’s an old adage that I learned from prep school, which was “˜aim high,'” he said. “For any (officer) who aims high, fine. And if you are not able to achieve the goal, you make modifications so you can walk away saying you did something.”

This year, the Undergraduate Students Association Council has focused largely on issues of affordability, diversity and student well-being, said Jasmine Hill, president of the council.

“Our goal was to be the direct link to the University of California, advocating that students get some of the things that they need,” she said.

The Financial Supports Commission worked to make college more affordable for students. Rustom Z. Birdie, former Financial Supports commissioner, was able to attain a 20 percent increase in textbook buybacks for students at the Associated Students UCLA store.

However, that 20 percent increase is given in store credit and can only be used for purchases at that location.

Beyond affordability, the council also sought to promote diversity dialogues on campus.

In light of racially insensitive incidents in the past year, General Representative Matt Spring, a presidential candidate in the upcoming USAC election, hosted a series of “life swap” events in which students of different backgrounds were paired together to foster dialogue and mutual understanding.

Issues of health and wellness drove the efforts of General Representative Emily Resnick, who is also a presidential candidate.
One of Resnick’s platforms was to sponsor an on-campus farmers market each weekend.

But with logistical difficulties regarding location and funding, only one farmers market was ultimately held, earlier this quarter.

Although her term of office is approaching its end, she said she hopes that future officers will continue the program she started.

Gatsby Miller, a USAC general representative, also ran into problems implementing his popular platform of bringing meal swipes on campus. Miller said it is an idea many students support but is difficult to achieve because of administrative issues beyond the council’s control.

However, such modifications and compromises to platforms are essential to the efficient performance and collaborative nature of the council, Nelson said. More often than not, councilmembers are more successful when they sacrifice elements of individual platforms for the support of the entire council, he said.

Continuing an effort formed by her predecessors in office, Academic Affairs Commissioner Suza Khy advocated instituting a diversity component to the College of Letters and Science’s General Education requirements.

Although the proposal for this program has passed through an Academic Senate committee, the Academic Affairs Commission’s office is still awaiting further approval before implementation of the program can be completed.

Taking advocacy beyond the UCLA campus, External Vice President Cristopher Santos’ office made more than 30 lobby visits to local and state government offices, including a protest at the state capitol. There, members of the EVP office protested against budget cuts and student fee increases.

During his candidacy, Santos had promised to bring gubernatorial candidates to campus. This goal was not met, but other public office candidates like Attorney General Kamala Harris and Superintendent of Public Institution Tom Torlakson did visit campus.

In his years of observing the activities of the undergraduate student government, Nelson said council unity, above all, generates the energy needed to execute projects.

Shoshee Jau