UCLA women's golf earns No. 1 seed in Central NCAA Regional, will play in Indiana against foes including LSU and Duke

The UCLA women’s golf team, pictured here after winning the Bruin Wave Invitational in March, has garnered the No. 1 seed in the NCAA Central Regional.

By Emma Coghlan

After placing third in the Pac-10 Championships, the UCLA women’s golf team knew it would drop to second in the national rankings, giving it a spot somewhere outside of the West for NCAA Regionals. The question remained, though, where exactly that spot would be. On Monday, the team got the call.

UCLA is the No. 1 seed in the Central Regional Tournament, which will take place at the Warren Golf Course in South Bend, Ind., hosted by Notre Dame.

The Bruins are one of Golf Week’s seven top 25 teams that will compete in South Bend. No. 6 LSU, No. 7 Duke, No. 12 Arkansas, No. 14 Wake Forest, No. 22 Texas and No. 24 Notre Dame are also in the field.

No. 1 Southern California is the top seed in the West, and will play in Auburn, Wash., hosted by University of Washington. No. 3 Alabama is the top seed in the East, and will play in Daytona Beach, Fla., hosted by Stetson and the Central Florida Sports Commission.

If UCLA had finished higher than USC at the Pac-10s, it would have had the top seed in the West, giving the team a shorter travel time and no time zone change. However, the Bruins acknowledged that leaving the west would be nothing more than an inconvenience.

“We are very excited to be selected as the No. 1 seed in the Central regional,” coach Carrie Forsyth said in a press release. “We are very determined after our poor result at Pac-10s and have a positive outlook on our remaining postseason events. We know we will do well and are really looking forward to getting started.”

Each of the three regional competitions has 24 teams and six individual participants. The Central Regional, a five-count-four competition like the others, will take place May 5-7. The top eight teams and the top two individuals from each regional will advance to the NCAA Tournament at the Traditions Club in Bryan, Texas, which will be hosted by Texas A&M May 18-21.

Pac-10 teams announced
Five Bruins learned they were awarded All Pac-10 honors by the conference Tuesday.

Junior Stephanie Kono and sophomores Tiffany Lua and Lee Lopez were named to the first team, while senior Glory Yang and freshman Ani Gulugian earned second-team honors. This marks Kono’s third straight selection to the first team.

Compiled by Emma Coghlan, Bruin Sports contributor.

Emma Coghlan