Guide to student government

By Shoshee Jau and James Barragan

Clarification: The Academic Affairs Commission and the Financial Supports Commission each have a textbook loan library within their office.

The Undergraduate Students Association Council consists of 13 members in 11 distinct offices, which are designed to fulfill different roles in student government. Elections for next year’s council are May 2-5.

President
The president is a liaison between students and the University of California. Through advocacy efforts, the office highlights students’ concerns and develops methods to provide resources and produce change. This year, the president focused on increasing affordability for a UC education and pushing for direct student participation in the UC Board of Regents. The office has hosted alumni networking nights and installed additional lighting on Hilgard Avenue.

External Vice President
Protesting at the state Capitol, bringing political candidates to campus and registering 3,000 voters are all in a year’s work for the external vice president. This office handles all USAC-related external affairs ““ it fights for tuition affordability and representation of UCLA students. The EVP also gives student input to the administration, the UC Board of Regents, the University of California president and even state government.

Internal Vice President
From getting students home safely through Strathmore Safe Rides to teaching student organizations about funding and exposure, the IVP office connects more than 875 student organizations to the UCLA administration. This year, the office produced a “how-to” guide for student groups and worked to expand the BruinCast service. The IVP also promotes student health and safety through programs like Campus Safety Awareness Week.

Community Service Commisioner
The Community Service Commission aims to serve both the immediate student body and the greater L.A. area by engaging students in service. CSC is an umbrella organization of 23 individual service programs on campus, including groups that tutor schoolchildren, visit orphanages in Tijuana and help find employment for homeless people. This year the CSC hosted events such as various Awareness Weeks and the community service fair in Bruin Plaza.

Student Welfare Commissioner
Every year, the Student Welfare Commission moves to address prevalent health issues that continuously affect the student population. The office wants to empower students to care for their health even after they graduate and aims to educate students about health issues on a broad scale, from student mental health to global epidemics. This year, the SWC sponsored Campus Safety Awareness Week, self-defense courses and workshops on suicide prevention.

Cultural Affairs Commissioner
The cultural affairs commissioner plans events that bring attention to the diverse identities on campus. Emphasizing a positive and inclusive campus climate, the office created the Cultural Art Collective this year, bringing together student groups centered around cultural identity and fostering dialogue. The CAC also promotes exposure to Los Angeles through DiverseCity tours, which take students around the area to remind them of their link to the greater community.

Facilities Commissioner
Often, students do not realize that their ability to learn, study and participate in on-campus activities hinges on the availability and quality of campus facilities. The office has pushed to increase student rehearsal and study space and promote the use of sustainable facilities, from transportation to student programming. Key projects have included extending Evening Van Service hours and providing study space in the Student Activities Center during finals week.

Campus Events Commissioner
From Bruin Bash to speakers and film screenings, the CEC handles the selection of performers and organizes events for students. The office strives to hold programs that encourage students to think about issues outside of their immediate world. This year, the campus events commissioner has hosted concerts by Flying Lotus in conjunction with the Design | Media Arts department, speakers such as Joseph Gordon-Levitt and a hipster culture panel.

Academic Affairs Commissioner
The commission works with administration and faculty to ensure that students have a say in every academic decision on campus, which includes departmental changes and adjustments to general education requirements. This year, the AAC helped improve a textbook loan library and establish support groups for transfer students. The office also helped restore and expand counselor support for the American Indian Studies program.

General Representatives (3)
The three general representatives have one of the broadest lists of responsibilities in USAC. This year offered a farmers market, diversity dinners and an apartment fair, among other programs. They’re responsible for any duties not specifically assigned to other offices, which allows the representatives to become involved in specific events and programs that they believe are pertinent to the campus community.

Financial Supports Commissioner
One of the Financial Supports Commission’s main goals is to search for tangible ways to save undergraduate students money. The commission advocates for policy changes that help students financially, such as raising the buyback value for textbooks. This year, the FSC helped create an online catalog for its textbook loan library, a new job-finding website BruinWorks and the Bruin Meal Voucher program for students in need.

Shoshee Jau