UCLA community organizes encampment in response to national call for escalation

On a four-game win streak, UCLA men’s tennis hosts Cal Poly San Luis Obispo in first of season’s last two games

Sophomore Maxime Tabatruong and the No. 9 Bruins take on Cal Poly San Luis Obispo today in their second-to-last match of the regular season.

MEN’S TENNIS
Cal poly
Today, 2:30 p.m.
LATC
No TV

As the season winds down, the UCLA men’s tennis team has its sights set on a strong finish going into the Pac-10 Championships.

No. 9 UCLA (15-5, 3-2 Pac-10) will face No. 40 Cal Poly San Luis Obispo (14-3, 4-0 Big West) at the Los Angeles Tennis Center today.

With only two matches left before the postseason, the Bruins are riding a four-game win streak that has given them momentum going into this match.

Freshman Adrien Puget and senior Holden Seguso have been key players in UCLA’s surge. Both have won their past four matches to improve to 14-5 and 13-6 on the season, respectively.

The Bruins also boast two of the top doubles teams in the nation with seniors Amit Inbar and Nick Meister ranked as the No. 20 pair in the nation. As a team, they are now 8-3 on the season.

Puget and redshirt sophomore Alex Brigham are also nationally ranked as a pair at No. 47.

While the Bruins are playing some of their best tennis of the year, Cal Poly is riding a four-game win streak of its own.

The Mustangs are currently coming off of recent wins over UC Santa Barbara, Sacramento State, Pacific and UC San Diego.

They are led by freshman phenom Marco Comuzzo, who is 14-3 on the season while boasting a 10-game win streak.

Cal Poly also has a formidable doubles team of their own consisting of senior Alexander Sonesson and sophomore Andre Dome.

So far this season, UCLA has been absolutely dominant at home. The Bruins are 11-1 in 2011, with their only loss coming to a solid California team in late February.

Since that loss, UCLA has gone 5-0 at home with big wins over Pac-10 rivals No. 22 Washington, No. 61 Arizona and No. 69 Oregon.

Following the Cal Poly match, UCLA will face No. 3 USC at the Los Angeles Tennis Center for its final match of the regular season.

Compiled by Jacob Ruffman, Bruin Sports contributor.