Cody Regis looks to extend nine-game hitting streak this weekend against Arizona

Cody Regis rides a nine-game hit streak into UCLA’s weekend series.

Baseball

Arizona
Today through Sunday
Jackie Robinson Stadium
Listen live on UCLABruins.com

Joe DiMaggio, 56 games. Willie Keeler, 45 games. Pete Rose, 44 games. The list goes on.

A hitting streak is one of the more mystical aspects of baseball, and it’s one of the hardest things to maintain.

“Joltin’ Joe’s” major-league streak of 56 straight games will certainly be tough to beat. Former UCLA Bruin Chase Utley got close in 2006 when he was on a 35-game hot streak.

Maybe a more reasonable goal would be the UCLA record of 33 games that Garrett Atkins set in 1998.

UCLA sophomore third baseman Cody Regis is well on his way. Regis’ current streak stands at nine games.

It originated with a single to center field against Cal State Fullerton on March 29, hit a peak in a 10-3 win over Washington State on April 9 and hung on for dear life Tuesday night when he snuck a single through right field. Regis’ streak is the longest of anyone on this year’s No. 23 UCLA squad.

Regis will have an opportunity to extend his streak this weekend when the Bruins (17-11, 7-2 Pac-10) take on the Arizona Wildcats (22-11, 4-5) in a three-game conference series at Jackie Robinson Stadium.

Regis sees his hitting tear as a sign that his team is peaking at the right time after struggling mightily to start the season.

“It seems like we’re all clicking at the right time, not just me,” Regis said. “We’re putting a lot more quality at bats in a row together.”

Regis’ teammate, senior right fielder Chris Giovinazzo, is more concerned with winning games than upholding the streak.

“Guys on this team aren’t really aware of stats like that,” said Giovinazzo, who is on a five-game streak. “No one talks about it, and I don’t really think anyone cares. As long as we’re winning, that’s the most important thing.”

The No. 20 Wildcats, although stuck in the middle of the conference standings, are coming off of a series win over No. 16 California and tout two talented starters in sophomore Kurt Heyer and junior Kyle Simon. The pair has 11 of Arizona’s 22 wins.

“They’re a very athletic team, and we’ve got to deal with those two starters,” coach John Savage said.

Schedule change

UCLA announced that it has scheduled a Wednesday night game with UC Santa Barbara to be played at Jackie Robinson Stadium on May 11.
The Bruins were able to schedule the extra contest because a game was rained out at Cal Poly in late March. It will be the Bruins’ only meeting with the Gauchos of the season.