Men's golf looks to upend defending national champion Augusta State in Administaff Invitational

Men’s golf

AUGUSTA STATE INVITATIONAL
Saturday and Sunday
Augusta, Ga.
No TV

By Manny Redruello

After a middle-of-the-pack finish at the Callaway Collegiate Match Play Championship over spring break, Patrick Cantlay and the rest of the UCLA men’s golf team return to stroke play this weekend at the Administaff Augusta State Invitational.

The No. 2 Bruins will tee off on Saturday morning at Forest Hills Golf Course in Augusta, Ga., for the two-round tournament hosted by defending national champion No. 9 Augusta State.

Freshman phenom Patrick Cantlay, the No. 1 golfer according to golfweek.com and the first Bruin to receive the honor since Kevin Chappell in 2008, leads the Bruins with six top-10 finishes and three individual victories.

He will likely be the lowest Bruin score on the leaderboard when all is said and done this weekend.

Aiding Cantlay in his quest to topple the defending national champions in their own tournament will be freshman Anton Arboleda, sophomore Pontus Widegren, and juniors Alex Shi Yup Kim and Gregor Main.

Widegren, the No. 23 golfer in Golf Week’s rankings, has also been having a tremendous season but has taken a back seat to Cantlay’s inaugural season.

In September, Widegren recorded an individual first-place finish at the NCAA Fall preview, a tournament that also included Augusta State in its field of teams.

Main and Kim, two of the Bruins’ most veteran golfers on the team, entered the season likely to be the Bruins’ top golfers, but they have struggled with bouts of inconsistency over the course of the year.

Main appeared to have gotten back on track when he won the Del Walker Invitational in March.

The tournament will be held in the five-count-four format, in which a team has five golfers compete and drops the lowest score at the end of each round.

Sophomore Pedro Figueiredo will also make the trip to Georgia but will be competing as an individual and will not be able to contribute to UCLA’s team score.

UCLA last played in the Administaff Invitational in 2008 and captured first place both in team and individual play.

None of the Bruins competing this weekend played in that tournament.

Compiled by Manny Redruello, Bruin Sports contributor.

Manny Redruello