From the regents meeting: Students speak with UC Regents about campus climate in light of offensive YouTube video

By Devin Kelly

The “Asians in the Library” video released by UCLA student Alexandra Wallace served as a key point in a University of California Student Association presentation to the UC Board of Regents Wednesday morning.

UCSA President Claudia Magana told the regents that Wallace’s video demonstrates a need to reassess how intolerance is addressed in the UC. She said she believes merely punishing those who perpetuate racism or discrimination is not an adequate solution.

“Expelling (Wallace) will not solve the problem,” Magana said in an interview.

Instead, the UC should show why comments like Wallace’s evoked a strong response, Magana said. This could involve increasing efforts to educate UC students about prejudice.

In her presentation, Magana referred to the results of a survey of UC Santa Barbara students. Half of the 200 students surveyed had experienced hate incidents, but in the past decade only a slim percentage have been referred to the Office of Judicial Affairs, she said.

UC President Mark Yudof called these ideas “very promising.”

“The ability to have an informal process to address the issues is really valuable,” he said.

He added that such a process would take place on a campus level, and he asked Magana to come to him with proposals on what role the UC administration could play.

Devin Kelly