Thursday, April 25

Streaking No. 2 Cal will pose a formidable threat to No. 4 women’s water polo when it visits UCLA on Saturday

On Saturday, a lot more intrigue was added to the UCLA women’s water polo team’s upcoming match with California.

That’s because then-No. 5 Cal took down the then-No. 2 USC, and the match wasn’t even close. The Golden Bears delivered an 8-3 thrashing of the Trojans at their home pool, remained undefeated in Mountain Pacific Sports Federation play and earned a bump up to No. 2 in the rankings.

Now the No. 4 Bruins (18-3, 1-1 MPSF) have to host the red-hot Bears (15-3, 3-0) on Saturday at Spieker Aquatics Center, and UCLA can hardly afford a loss as the stretch run begins.

The Bruins have an impressive record, but have failed to pull through in their most important matches. The result has been two losses to USC and one to No. 4 Hawai’i, the team with which UCLA is tied.

Saturday marks the first home match for UCLA since it fell to Hawai’i in a double-overtime game at Spieker on Feb. 24, a loss that started the Bruins off on the wrong foot for conference play.

Compiled by Ryan Menezes, Bruin Sports senior staff.