Daily Bruin wins national, state awards

By Farzad Mashhood

The Daily Bruin earned dozens of national and state awards this past weekend.

Sunday at the Associated College Press Midwinter Convention, The Bruin earned second place in Best in Show for Four-Year Daily Newspapers as well as Large School News Website. Convention attendees from across the country entered their papers in the ACP Best in Show awards. University of Arizona’s Daily Wildcat won first for Four-Year Daily Newspapers and University of Michigan’s Michigan Daily won first for Large School Website. The Bruin also won first place for its multimedia presentation, Over and Back.

Saturday, The Bruin won first place in General Newspaper Excellence, General Website Excellence and 15 other categories in the 2010 California College Media Association Excellence in Student Media awards. The Bruin won 32 awards in categories for newspapers, news websites and magazines.

Judges for the General Newspaper Excellence award said, “The winner in this category has a comprehensive and compelling daily news report. It shows a grasp of depth and enterprise in its stories, and the writing has hints of sophistication. The breadth of subjects covered, especially the health and science reporting, is impressive. The photography is tremendous and laid out in a way that allows it to pop.”

UC Berkeley’s Daily Californian won the second-most awards for four-year college dailies with 16 awards, including second place in General Newspaper Excellence and General Website Excellence. USC’s Daily Trojan won third place in General Newspaper Excellence and General Website Excellence.

Work from Over and Back, which brought together more than a dozen staffers for an investigation of the recruitment of basketball players from Cameroon, was recognized with first place awards for Best News Series, Best News Story (non-breaking), Best Multimedia Presentation, Best Photo Series and Best Audio Slideshow.

The Bruin swept first place awards in design, winning for Best Overall Design, Best News Page, Best Sports Page and Best Features Page.

Several awards were also given for The Bruin’s sports coverage, including first place for a special section commemorating the passing of John Wooden. First place awards were also give for Best Sports Story, Column and Photograph, for work by Ryan Eshoff, Matt Stevens and Tiffany Cheng.

Web content was also recognized across the board. Prime magazine’s website won second place for magazine website. Second place recognition was also given for Best Video and Best Blog.

Farzad Mashhood