Softball finishes strong in Campbell/Cartier Classic

Campbell/Cartier Classic

UCLA 4
Cal Poly San Luis Obispo 0

UCLA 3
San Diego State 1

Baylor 5
UCLA 1

UCLA 5
Brigham Young 2

By Manny Redruello

Finish strong.

Most athletes will have had those two words ingrained in their subconscious by the time they start playing collegiate sports.

The players on the UCLA softball team must have, too, because finishing strong is exactly what they’ve been doing.

On Saturday, No. 6 UCLA blanked Cal Poly San Louis Obispo 4-0 in the finale of the Bruins’ four-game series at the Campbell/Cartier Classic hosted by San Diego State.

Two weeks ago, UCLA beat Utah State 13-3 in its last game of the Louisville Slugger Desert Classic.

Last week, it was Ohio State, 12-5, at the close of the Cathedral City Classic.

“We always like to be able to finish a tournament strong, kind of get in there and learn as much as you can about yourself as a team,” coach Kelly Inouye-Perez said. “And there’s a focus there to finish at the end, but that’s more of a positive than anything.”

It was the third win of the weekend for the Bruins, who, despite seeing veteran starters trickle out of the training room and into the lineup, still relied on what has become a core group of freshmen.

“We’re continuing to get different visuals of different Bruins being able to step up in big moments, and this weekend it was about the freshmen,” Inouye-Perez said.

On Friday, UCLA bested Brigham Young 5-2. The Bruins jumped out to an early lead over the Cougars after junior Andrea Harrison, who shifted from her usual left field position to first base, hit a three-run home run in the first inning, her sixth long ball of the year.

Freshman pitcher Jessica Hall (10-3) allowed just one earned run in the win, striking out three in four innings of work.

“We have more experienced pitchers on the team. I definitely didn’t expect any of them to get hurt at this point,” said Hall, who recorded three wins over the weekend and leads the Bruins with 10 wins in the circle. “I was prepared for it either way, and I know I’m going to have my teammates’ backs, that’s all I’m doing.”

But UCLA cooled down in the evening, going on to lose the nightcap to Baylor, 5-1.

On Saturday afternoon, UCLA beat San Diego State, 3-1. The Bruins’ offense was provided by freshman shortstop Kellie Fox, who hit two home runs and recorded three runs batted in.

Fox, who hails from San Diego, played in front of friends, family and former recreation league teammates.

“It was amazing, it’s my hometown,” Fox said. “Everyone was there, it was a great experience and great atmosphere.”

UCLA finished off the weekend with a victory against Cal Poly in which Hall pitched a two-hit shutout. Junior catcher Dani Yudin, who returned to the field after missing time with a right leg injury, drove in two of the four runs for the Bruins.

The Bruins will continue their season at the Long Beach State Invitational starting Friday.

Manny Redruello