Women’s golf swings to a win at Bruin Wave Invitational

By Emma Coghlan

The UCLA women’s golf team established an early lead this week and managed not only to hold onto it, but extend it further as the Bruin Wave Invitational proceeded.

No. 3 UCLA came in first at this week’s invitational in Santa Clarita, with a score of 860 (-4).

The Bruins pulled into the lead early on and managed to hold onto it all the way through, finishing each round in the lead. They won by 20 strokes. The second place team, No. 7 Arizona, scored 880 (+16).

The Bruins were the only team that finished under par. Pepperdine finished in third place, Stanford in fourth and San Diego State in fifth.

Not only did the Bruins take the top spot as a team, but they also managed to come out on top individually, filling the top three spots on the leader board.

Redshirt sophomore Lee Lopez took first with a score of 212 (-4). Senior Glory Yang came in second with 213 (-3), and junior Stephanie Kono finished in third after shooting a 214 (-2).

The rest of the Bruins who counted for the team score placed in the top 25.

Sophomore Tiffany Lua finished with 224 (+8), in a three-way tie for 18th, and freshman Ani Gulugian tied for 21st, shooting 225 (+9).

Junior Brianna Do, who competed as an individual, was in a three-way tie for 26th with a score of 227 (+11).

She was the top-placing individual competitor, finishing a stroke ahead of Pepperdine’s Danielle Gillaspy.

While bad weather got in their way in last month’s Northrop Grumman Regional Challenge, a few clouds did nothing to stop the Bruins this week.

Last week, coach Carrie Forsyth mentioned that the Valley Course at Robinson Ranch, where the invitational took place, was especially conducive to the Bruins’ best abilities: putting and accuracy.

The Bruins had these skills on hand this week and were making good use of them.

Next up, the Bruins will compete at the Aztec Invitational in Rancho Bernardo later this month.

Compiled by Emma Coghlan, Bruin Sports contributor.

Emma Coghlan