Protesters in Bruin Plaza voice discontent over UC employment system

By Shoshee Jau

Advocating cuts to the University of California administrative ranks, student group UCLA Fights Back mobilized local students, workers and unions as part of a national day of action defending public education.

Protesters voiced their discontent over the UC employment system during a rally in Bruin Plaza at noon, arguing that the UC Board of Regents have given priority to administration rather than students, lecturers and workers.

“Pretty much only executives are being employed by the University of California right now,” said Elise Youn, an urban planning doctoral student who leads UCLA Fights Back. “Workers and students have been bearing the burdens and the chancellor, as our leader, should stand up for us.”

Members of the American Federation of Teachers, University Professional and Technical Employees and the International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers of America were among the gathering.

At around 11:30 a.m. students in UCLA Fights Back began circulating a card to Chancellor Gene Block asking him to cut from UC executives instead of students, workers and faculty.

Medical center workers marched into Bruin Plaza a little after noon. Shouts of “Chop from the top!” and “Sí se puede!” rang in the plaza as protesters marched in circles, bearing pickets.

Susan Griffin, a writing lecturer and member of American Federation of Teachers said the Regents’ decisions will greatly jeopardize the
quality of education for coming generations.

“I’m in a program being eliminated bit by bit,” Griffen said. “I’m on the verge of retirement, and they’re not going to replace me. If I were a young person, I would run away from teaching. Who’s going to teach your kids?”

Protesters began to trickle out of Bruin Plaza at 12:45 p.m., as a light drizzle began to fall. About a dozen remained by 1 p.m.

UCLA spokesman Phil Hampton said the issues raised deserve to be further addressed in the future.

“We’re in the midst of a transformation about how public higher education is funded in the state, and naturally the stakeholders who have concerns deserve a full discussion,” Hampton said. “The rally today is a reflection of that discussion.”

Shoshee Jau