Men’s volleyball aims for repeat victory against Cal State Northridge

Junior Kyle Caldwell and the No. 8 UCLA men’s volleyball team takes on Cal State Northridge for the second time this season today. Caldwell recorded a match-high 40 assists in the Bruins’ 3-1 victory against the Matadors on Jan. 19 at Pauley Pavilion.

MEN’S VOLLEYBALL
Cal State Northridge
Today, 7 p.m.
The Matadome

Follow GameTracker on UCLABruins.com
The No. 8 Bruins will try to improve on their Mountain Pacific Sports Conference record when they visit the Matadors.

By Benjamin Kelly

Today’s match might trigger some memories for the UCLA men’s volleyball team.

Seven weeks ago, the Bruins beat the Cal State Northridge Matadors in what was the culmination of their five-match winning streak. The team looked unstoppable, with wins over some very talented opponents.

Since that win streak was snapped, UCLA has not even been able to string together two consecutive wins.

But UCLA continuously displays an array of talent, including a sweep in its last match against Pacific. The 3-0 victory was the first road win for the No. 8 Bruins (9-9, 4-8 Mountain Pacific Sports Federation), and they hit .484 thanks to a nicely distributed offensive effort.

“I’m feeling confident because of how we’re hitting,” coach Al Scates said. “Right now, we can get the ball to anybody.”

If UCLA can keep up the numbers, it should have no problem with CSUN (4-12, 3-8).
In addition to the Bruins’ proficient attack, the serving game that nagged them in the past seems fixed.

So far, the duo of freshmen outside hitters Gonzalo Quiroga and Robart Page has been particularly deadly on the road.

Quiroga averages more than 11 kills and two aces in away conference matches, and Page contributed a career-high 14 kills at Stanford last weekend.

The Bruins might be in for a long night against the Matadors if their struggles on the road have anything to do with distractions; in its evening at the Matadome, UCLA will likely encounter a notoriously raucous fan base.

Out of six conference away matches, UCLA has returned with only the victory against Pacific.

“It’s always harder to play outside our home here in Pauley,” Quiroga said. “I think if we concentrate and focus on our game and not the other things, then we can play better.”

Luckily for the team, this match precludes four consecutive home matches, in which the Bruins will attempt to climb into the upper half of the conference before the postseason tournament gets any closer.

UCLA last faced CSUN in the Bruins’ home opener on Jan. 19, and won 3-1. The Matadors, led by freshman outside hitter Brandon Lebrock, were limited to a .195 clip.

Yet since then, both teams have changed starting players, seen more competition and had time to make adjustments.

The Bruins know not to come into the match expecting a victory, especially in a conference as tough as theirs.

“Every game is a new game,” junior setter Kyle Caldwell said. “We take into account that we beat them, but you can’t take another team lightly. We have the opportunity to beat any team if we play our game.”

Benjamin Kelly