Banksy’s “˜Crayola Shooter’ mural should be welcomed and protected by Westwood residents

THE ISSUE:
Westwood's seemingly forgotten history as a cultural center received a push in that
direction again last week when British artist Banksy tagged a wall outside Urban Outfitters.

OUR STANCE:
Banksy's contribution to our neighborhood should be celebrated, welcomed and protected from future vandalism.

By Editorial Board

Longtime residents of Westwood will tell you: This used to be a happening town. Though the nightclubs are gone and celebrities come only for the occasional red-carpet event, not all hope is lost.

Last week, when British graffiti artist Banksy tagged the Kinross Avenue wall of Urban Outfitters, he nudged Westwood toward becoming a cultural landmark once again.

The mural, known as “Crayola Shooter,” depicts a child wielding a machine gun loaded with crayons and surrounded by juvenile drawings of flowers and the sun. It was part of an L.A. tour of sorts, as Banksy created pieces in various locations throughout the city in the last two weeks.

Banksy’s work has brought a new wave of attention to Los Angeles as a whole, and “Crayola Shooter” makes a strong statement that Westwood is an area worth visiting.

Recently, it has seemed that the only headlines about our town are ones announcing the closure of another store. The arrival of “Crayola Shooter” introduced a new narrative about Westwood, and this time it’s about people coming instead of going. Such a cultural landmark is good for business, and it’s good for our reputation.

Westwood has previously attempted to bring back some of its old glamour with several high-priced establishments. Still, Westwood’s identity is that of a college town, and such attempts are futile.

Urban Outfitters appears to be proud as well, releasing a statement last week supporting the mural when they easily could have complained about graffiti. We should applaud this response, and as a town we should embrace our new landmark.

Unfortunately, not everyone has treated “Crayola Shooter” with the respect it deserves. A few days after the mural showed up, it was splashed with gray paint and tagged with the letters “MBW.”

Unfortunately, though it has since been cleaned, it cannot be fully restored to its original condition.

“Crayola Shooter” is not a framed and guarded painting in a museum, of course; its status as street art makes it both unusually tied to the city and unusually susceptible to vandalism.

Still, it would be a wonderful display of community pride if the citizens of Westwood could band together to protect and preserve the Banksy mural.

This area remains nothing like the cultural hub it used to be, and no piece of art can change that overnight.

But “Crayola Shooter” could be a turning point for Westwood, a reminder to UCLA students and our neighbors to invest time and energy in making our home a great one. Some day, Cyndi Lauper and Madonna may once again roam Gayley on weekend nights.

Editorial Board