Screen Scene: “I Am Number Four”

Credit: TOUCHSTONE PICTURES

"I Am Number Four"
Directed by D.J. Caruso
Touchstone Pictures

paw_t820.pngpaw_t820.png

By Corinne Cunard

It is hard not to judge a book by its cover, and the same concept applies to a movie’s title. Upon seeing the movie trailer for “I Am Number Four,” it was difficult not to evaluate the film based on its unimpressive title and generic concept concerning aliens on Earth with superpowers.

While plot details were vague or simply nonexistent, the film is essentially about Number Four, who is one of nine survivors from the planet Lorien. The nine have superpowers and were sent to protect Earth from the evil Mogadorians, who are killing them number by number.

The movie opens with a view of the planet from space, and the camera quickly closes in as it glides through a jungle landscape with ominous music quickening the pace. Violence erupts within moments of the camera resting on a sleeping man, and as soon as one of the men whips out a glowing blue blade to defend Number Three (one of the good aliens), you realize you are in for that kind of movie.

In an abrupt change of setting, Number Four (Alex Pettyfer) crashes while riding a jet ski, enjoying the few carefree moments he has left before he takes on the role of extraordinary teen.

Once the third swirly circle-shaped scar makes its painful appearance on Number Four’s leg, he understands that numbers one through three are dead, and he is the Mogadorians’ next target.

As soon as Number Four’s overprotective guardian Henri (Timothy Olyphant) learns of his charge’s new predicament, the two leave their lives in sunny Florida and move to Paradise, Ohio. Number Four changes his identity again, becoming John Smith, and adjusts to life in Ohio where he befriends a stray beagle, a nerdy teenager named Sam (Callan McAuliffe) and the quirky, pretty girl Sarah (Dianna Agron).

Henri instructs John to keep a low profile, but John wins Sarah’s attention as well as the animosity of local bully Mark (Jake Abel). Once John walks onto the high school scene, it’s hard not to compare his entrance to that of Edward Cullen in “Twilight”: super mysterious yet blatantly obvious. It’s hard not to laugh as John pulls the hood of his sweatshirt down in an effort to remain inconspicuous.

Possibly the best character in the movie, besides the adorable beagle, is John’s eager and dorky sidekick Sam. McAuliffe manages his role well and makes the most out of awkward moments, embracing his role as a somewhat unusual teenager. Sam’s determination to uncover what happened to his missing father also adds to his endearing charm.

Above all, this film is a reminder of the awkward transitions of high school life: John and Sarah’s first kiss on the porch step, fighting off bullies and those hormonal changes. As with Iron Man, the protagonist’s hands light up like two bright flashlights as he channels energy through his body.

After learning of his powers, one would expect his guardian Henri to help John out in the spirit of mentorship. But there is no occurence of male bonding, and John miraculously and unrealistically learns on his own how to control his power with ease.

The troubles of being a teenager soon subside, and the concern of alien domination takes precedence. The Mogadorian commander (Kevin Durand), personifying the stereotypical evil villain, dresses in all black and arms himself with high-power weaponry. There is no complexity to his character, and his reason for taking over Earth is simply because he wants it.

While this movie is generally disappointing, there are some highlights: the soundtrack, which features a song from Adele, the moments in which Pettyfer is shirtless and the surprisingly enjoyable character of Sam.

“I Am Number Four” fails to live up to the classic superhero film of epic proportions. Instead, it joins the ranks of awkward teenage melodramas like “Twilight,” without being as enjoyable to watch.

E-mail Cunard at [email protected].

Corinne Cunard