Begin preparing early for postgraduation life

Pathway to postgrad success

Seniors might know exactly what it means to have only a quarter left until they graduate and are pushed out into the "real world." In short, it's a nerve-wracking time to be a student. Sure, students in their first or second years still have a ways to go, but not all is lost. Here are some great resources for UCLA students wishing to jump ahead in the oh-so-dreary job-hunting season.

"¢bull; UCLA's Career Center, located at Strathmore Avenue, offers students a chance to map out their future from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. every weekday.
"¢bull; The center's Career Library houses more than 3,000 books, videos and directories organized into 18 career fields, two graduate school sections and four job search sections.
"¢bull; Students can schedule an appointment with career counselors or go to the center during the drop-in hours listed on the website.
"¢bull; Numerous resources are available to students on the Career Center website, including an online career planning portal called Focus. BruinView is an online job, internship and interview database which allows students and alumni to search through and apply to thousands of jobs and internships.
"¢bull; Students can meet recruiters from potential employers at Career Fairs put on by the center and can prepare for the events by attending various workshops throughout the year.
"¢bull; Job Search JumpStart.

SOURCE: UCLA Career Center
Compiled by Philip Zymet, Daily Bruin columnist.

By Philip Zymet

A few weeks ago, I realized that I was precariously a few steps away from being a failure. I may have a relatively good GPA at UCLA, but that doesn’t count for much in a world where who you know matters so much more than what you know. As I began to look up deadlines, requirements and instructions for the various jobs, fellowships and paid internships I was aware of, the stench of failure became all too pungent.

I hadn’t fostered good relationships with my professors in order to get three letters of recommendation, I didn’t have an up-to-date resume, and I had almost no professional contacts.

I had no chance of success. I’d probably have to join the military just to get someone to pay me. I felt like my brief time at UCLA was going to be all for naught. Sure, I had a few internships, but because I wasn’t sure of what I wanted to do until roughly this quarter, I failed to create the relationships necessary to really excel in my chosen field. But I have no one to blame but myself. I’m a slacker. And I know that many of my peers are too.

We revel in turning in an assignment as late as possible. We work best when we’ve got a couple Monsters in us and less than three hours of sleep. Be it through the grace of God or simple good luck, many slackers manage to do well at UCLA. Unfortunately, our outstanding procrastination skills don’t translate too well to the real world. In the never-ending job race, slackers finish last.

Everyone applies to UCLA with the hopes of having a 4.0 GPA and eventually finding a job. For those who love to torture themselves, studying for the LSATs and GREs provide ample structure in the form of deadlines and prep courses. You may not have a social life, but at least your future isn’t a mystery.

For those of us who want nothing more but to leave the world of academia, however, a totally different kind of torture awaits. The pain of having not the slightest idea of where we’ll end up after college. Many slacker fourth-years feel this pain, and the accompanying freak-out session that it mandates.

But all is not lost. It may be late in the game, but we can catch up. We just have to catch our breath, think positive thoughts, and start applying to whatever we can find.

It’s too late for me to follow the excellent four-year road map on the Career Center’s website. But through department e-mails, BruinView, and as much networking as I can muster, I may land something after college. It may not be my first, or even third choice, but it will be better than working at McDonald’s.

I’ve realized that just because I’m a liberal arts student who doesn’t want to attend graduate or law school, I don’t have an exemption from mapping out my future.

So I’m scrambling to find future employment by any means necessary. Deadlines are fast approaching, and my hairline is beginning to recede. My only hope is that by reading this, you’ll avoid repeating my mistakes.

And if you’re in my boat, your ship hasn’t sunk just yet.

Feeling the job hunt blues? E-mail Zymet at [email protected].
Send general comments to [email protected].

Philip Zymet