Runner Sierra Vega qualifies for World Junior Cross Country Championships

By Min Kang

It was a telling sign when Sierra Vega emerged as the first Bruin to cross the finish line in the NCAA West Regional.

All season long, senior Shannon Murakami had been the standout runner, but at that final meet of the season on Nov. 13, 2010, Vega, the freshman runner, seized the No. 1 spot for the UCLA women’s cross country team.

Saturday, Vega showed her promise yet again, qualifying for the IAAF World Junior Cross Country Championships upon finishing in fourth place with a time of 22:00 at the USA Cross Country Championships in San Diego.

Three other Bruin freshmen competed at the meet. Michelle Pittman was the second-best UCLA runner, finishing 15th overall (22:57), while Amber Murakami came in 32nd (23:56), and Caitlin Schmitt placed 37th (24:35).

Senior Kelcie Wiemann competed in the senior women’s race and finished with a time of 30:20, good for 35th overall.

The men’s team also sent out its share of freshman runners. Jacob Wood placed 32nd (26:21), Dustin Fay 35th (26:25) and Chase Zukerman 40th (26:31) in the juniors meet.

As for the senior men’s race, redshirt senior Jake Matthews finished 41st (39:09), junior Jun Reichi 45th (39:35), junior David McDonald 46th (39:40) and freshman Joel Ambo 48th (39:44).

Compiled by Min Kang, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Min Kang