Students should use university and informal counseling aids available at UCLA

THE ISSUE:
Emotional health among incoming college
freshmen is at an all-time low, according to a recent UCLA survey.

OUR STANCE:
There are plenty of ways students can
overcome drops in emotional health. The
university offers plenty of resources and there is also good, old-fashioned community help.

Incoming college freshmen are reporting personal emotional health levels at an all-time low, according to a UCLA survey.

The results from this year’s survey by the Cooperative Institutional Research Program cohere with the general trend of decreasing emotional happiness in recent years. Mounting stress levels are not surprising, considering the increasing pressure to succeed in a competitive environment, growing financial concerns and the uncertain job market that students are facing.

Students facing declining emotional health can find help both through the university and through outside resources. This board urges students to consider reaching into their support networks.

The Counseling and Psychological Services office provides under-utilized psychological and emotional support for students. These include general wellness workshops, a 24-hour help hotline and individual counseling with a staff psychiatrist.

These appointments are free for all students covered by the Student Health Insurance Plan and cost $15 for students without it. CAPS also hosts therapy groups with themes such as eating disorders, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues, recovery from abuse and bereavement.

And it’s no secret that students sometimes avoid seeking help. According to CAPS director Elizabeth Gong-Guy, 20 percent of the fourth-year students who come to the office say they wish they had come in sooner.

Students with more precise needs can find outreach programs geared more specifically toward their situation at the Bruin Resource Center, which offers workshops and support groups for veterans, student parents, foster youth and transfer students.

University services aside, there are a multitude of informal components around campus that can help lower stress levels ““ and most of these are already a part of everyday life.

One of the best resources that can be found on campus ““ or in any community ““ is the people. Reaching out and talking to a friend, a neighbor or even a stranger can serve as a perfect way to unload burdens.

Moreover, talking over problems is often the first step to finding a solution.

Even some of the simplest acts can be incorporated into daily routines to help increase emotional health. Try something new, even as minimal as taking a different route to class. Treat yourself to something special on your longest day. Get plenty of exercise outdoors, eat healthy and sleep enough.

UCLA is not an easy place to be ““ difficult classes, living away from home and plenty of opportunities for unhealthy life choices abound here. But we urge everyone to look at the resources available to cope with the tough road faced in this environment.