Renovation in YRL will mostly finish in spring with new cafe and high-tech gadgets

Construction of Charles E. Young Research Library will likely meet its spring deadline.

Construction at YRL

Renovations at Charles E. Young Research Library will include:
"¢bull; A cafe on the first floor
"¢bull; Group study rooms, conference room, increased research space
"¢bull; New technological gadgets

_SOURCE: Eric Heggen, senior project manager _
Compiled by Kelly Zhou, Bruin senior staff.

By Kate Parkinson-Morgan

Michelle Elkhoury

Construction on the first level of Charles E. Young Research Library began last winter, with the aim of attracting more visitors to the library. New technological features will include projection screens with multimedia capabilities and cabinets with flat-panel displays of the library’s digital archives.

Construction on the first level of Charles E. Young Research Library is close to completion and will likely meet its spring deadline.

The renovation of the first level began last winter, with the aim of attracting more visitors to the library. New additions include a cafe, group study rooms, increased research space and a conference room, all decked out with high-tech gadgets, said Susan Parker, deputy university librarian.

The project will be mostly completed in early April, but furniture and technology will not be fully added to the space until next fall. The library staff will need to spend the summer experimenting with new technology, said senior project manager Eric Heggen.

Technological add-ons will include projection screens with multimedia capabilities, cabinets with flat-panel displays of the library’s digital archives and computers with slots for multiple laptops to plug into and share screens. More self-checkout stations will also be installed.

“I already think YRL is one of the best study spots on campus because it’s so quiet, but it will be even better once they add more study space and incorporate more technology,” said Steve Stamos, a third-year political science student.

The library has not been renovated since it was built in 1971. Feedback from surveys of students and faculty indicated the library has an outdated, unattractive feel, Parker said. Students come to check out books but do not stay long, she said.

“The only reason I come here is because it has the books I need, and it’s incredibly quiet. Right now, as far as a college library goes, it’s not very welcoming for students,” said Dan Beckman, an Iranian history graduate student.

Construction on the first floor represents the second phase of the renovation effort, which also included a revamping of the lower level, completed last winter. The total project is estimated to cost $17 million and is being funded by an anonymous donation made in 1998.

Library officials initially hoped to renovate the entire library, but could not figure out how to execute such a project with the finances available, Parker said.

Once builders and painters finish their work in April, workers will spend the next month moving in furniture, establishing network installation and setting up the new technology.

Dates for the opening of new spaces for student use have yet to be determined. The entire construction area must first be approved for occupancy, meaning that all plumbing, electrical and life safety systems must be signed off, Heggen said.

Once approved, Parker said she hopes to open the renovated first floor areas in May to allow people to start using the spaces even though amenities will still have to be added.

Opening the new cafe, run by Associated Students UCLA, is at the top of the priority list, Parker said.

“We know that many students prefer to work at eating spots on campus, so we thought why not make that an option at the library too,” she said.
Last to open will likely be the new exhibition gallery that will feature some of the library’s most exclusive collections.

Kate Parkinson-Morgan